Forums Latest Members
  1. Jerseyhammer Jan 26, 2018

Some trivia on Omega watches:

1. In 1848 a 23 year old named Louis Brandt is credited with starting the brand which later became Omega.
    2. In the early 1900's OMEGA's watches were prized by railroad professionals in China, the United States, Canada and much of Europe.
    3. The association between OMEGA and swimming dates back to the 1932 Los Angeles Olympic Games. The relationship is still going strong.
    4. Omega was a major supplier of watches to large ministries of defense, especially during the 1st and 2nd World Wars. The company's timepieces would go on to be used by the armed and special forces of British, France, Italy, USA, Norway, Sweden, Canada to name a few.
    5. Important musicians including Elvis, Beatles members & Buddy Holly have been photographed wearing Omega watches.
    6. Past world leaders such as JFK and Mikhail Gorbachev choice of watch. Pope John Paul II wore Omega watches.
    7. Before official chronometers, Olympic chronographs or the NASA-approved Speedmasters Omega watches.
    8. Omega "Pie Pan" is used a term in the industry /collectors to describe the style dials from other models. The dial that has the hour/minute markers placed in a concentric ring that slopes down at a constant angle i.e, not rounded, from a raised flat center, and that the center is often a contrasting color or tone. This design usually commands a premium price and seen in the Constellation & De Ville models.
    9. The Geneva Line, created in 1953, was made as an homage to our workshops in Geneva where OMEGAs best regulators were working. The line was finally discontinued in 1979 as the law in Geneva stipulates that a brand must have a presence in the canton of Geneva to include the word Geneva or any variation of on the dial.
    10. Omega has four main watch families today that are well known to everyone interested in the brand: Seamaster, Speedmaster, Constellation and De Ville

Peturbed, M'Bob and alam like this.
  2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 29, 2018

Would like to learn more about the influence of the "" Made in America "" act on the Speedmaster production in the 1960s... :thumbsdown:

Peturbed likes this.
  3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2018

Hi @Jerseyhammer

Interesting list of Omega trivia ........ I am guessing the Source is Omega?

I want to expand on a few of the points....and maybe add a little clarity

2. In the early 1900's OMEGA's watches were prized by railroad professionals in China, the United States, Canada and much of Europe.

I can see the Railroad line of pocketwatches being prized by alot of professionals around the world... But In the USA the railroad pocketwatch industry produced at the same level of quality / accuracy as Omegas. SO I would take part about the US with a grain of salt...

I happen to be a Omega / Brandt pocket watch collector and I love the DDR and grade Very Best.... but a lot of US Railroad grade pocket watches are out there like E howard etc....

9. The Geneva Line, created in 1953, was made as an homage to our workshops in Geneva where OMEGAs best regulators were working. The line was finally discontinued in 1979 as the law in Geneva stipulates that a brand must have a presence in the canton of Geneva to include the word Geneva or any variation of on the dial.

Yup the Geneve line was originally introduced as a "High End " family/ line in the Omega Watch collection. I also think it was introduced later then 1953... ( not a big deal ) . The cases on close inspection where all hand finished with triple beveled bezels and sculptured lugs with intricate bevels... ( alot of hand finishing by very skilled craftsmen). If you look at the 1950s Geneve manual winds this is pretty obvious....

But Later as sales slowed , So Omega wanted to create a entry level line using the same "great" movements to introduce Omega to new users.... The re-launched the Geneve line in the 1960s with simple cases ( all machine produced, no hand finishing. Simple case geometry , simple case finishes etc...... So over the course of the lifetime of the Geneve line it went from a " Top Shelf" to " entry level " in about 10 or 12 years ....

And @Jerseyhammer , welcome to the forum !!!

Good Hunting

Bill

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 29, 2018

7 got lost in translation somewhere.

They left a country out in 4:rolleyes:

5. Jerseyhammer Jan 30, 2018

Trivia from another Omega enthusiast

6. Jerseyhammer Jan 30, 2018

Did they ?

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 30, 2018

8. kkt Jan 30, 2018

It looks like they omitted countries which spent the whole war on the opposing side...

Foo2rama likes this.