Forums Latest Members
  1. Spy You know my name. Aug 2, 2016

I noticed that a few here wear vintage Zodiac Sea Wolf or Super Sea Wolf watches. Is anyone interested in the Zodiac Heritage watches? Years ago I owned a 1999 Astrographic and shortly before that I had a Swiss Formula quartz. But I always liked the Super Sea Wolf, ref. 506.54.43 100.
    s-l1600.jpg

But the newest offering that has caught my eye is the Super Sea Wolf 68, ref. ZO9500. The name is, obviously, in reference to the 1968 Super Sea Wolf 75ATM. This one emulates that vintage piece's characteristics.
    ZODIAC Super SEA WOLF 68 Extreme LIMITED EDITION Ref_ ZO9500.png
    Zodiac-Super-Sea-Wolf-Gear-Patrol-Lead-1440.jpg
    The caliber is a Swiss Made Fossil in-house STP1-11. This movement is comparable to the ETA 2824. Is anyone considering this Zodiac? Better yet does anyone own this reference? What are your thoughts?

GregH likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 2, 2016

I don't own this reference or any other of the hundreds of "homage" watches that have come out recently.

I'm quite sure that these watches are perfectly functional. That is, they will keep time. If they don't, the manufacturers will fix or replace them under warranty. Then again, the same applies to a $60 Seiko 5 Automatic.

IMHO, these are great if your object is to pay a lot of money up front just to see the value drop by 50% or more after a year of ownership. If you like the look, maybe it's better to put in the time to find a nice vintage model to preserve and occasionally wear.

It's not a matter of liking the watch or not. I think they are rather cool. It is more of a financial decision. Would you rather buy something that has a chance to appreciate in value, while still maintaining the form and function?

Or would you just rather pour half your money down a hole, knowing that it will likely never come back.

Pays your money and takes your choice.
    gatorcpa

Fritz likes this.
  3. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Aug 2, 2016

I'm a big fan of vintage Zodiac and I think they did a nice job with these heritage pieces. It would be nice to own a Super Sea Wolf 53 Skin or Compression that could actually go near the water. The price seems steep for a 2824 "clone" that little is known about though. I might be tempted if I can find one second hand.

GregH likes this.
  4. Spy You know my name. Aug 2, 2016

There are two Super Sea Wolf 68's. The one pictured above is the LE because it is the movement is a chronometer and only 68 were made. The other 68 has a light blue color around the rehaut and is not a LE nor is it a chronometer.

5. Spy You know my name. Aug 2, 2016

Watches, in general, are not the route to take for investing. Buying a watch today will only appreciate based on want in the future. Who is to know? One thing is certain, though. The previous SSW's were not chronometer's. Buying the LE 68 would be the wiser choice between the two 68's. Most of us, if not all, buy watches because we like them. If we bought watches for the investment aspect, all of us would walk around relying on a cell phone to tell the time and a tan on the spot where our wrist is usually is not exposed.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 2, 2016

All very true. I'm not looking at watches for investment purposes. I'm just not looking to take a guaranteed loss.

To those that argue that new watches can be worn in the water, my answer to that is again tha it is true. However, all seals fail eventually.
    gatorcpa

Fritz likes this.
  7. GregH Aug 6, 2016

I've also become a big fan of vintage Zodiacs and picked up one of these "heritage" pieces when I found one second hand for roughly half the list price. It's the Compression series with the crazy spade hands and a red bezel. I want 100% on it initially but I really like it. It's not too big (a Major draw for me) has a sapphire crystal and screw down crown, but has the vibe of my vintage pieces. I don't worry about it, travel with it and keep it in my bag to switch over when the weather turns and I want to keep the vintage prices safe and dry.

image.jpeg

And here's a family photo:

image.jpeg

8. Spy You know my name. Aug 6, 2016

Nice family you have there.

GregH likes this.
  9. GregH Aug 6, 2016

Thanks @Spy . I'm really enjoying it and will likely add to it. They are little gems.

Perseus and Spy like this.