Forums Latest Members

Zenith "TV" - relative value?

1. jfwoodman Feb 3, 2014

As noted in several posts, prices for many of the popular early El Primero chronographs are skyrocketing as of late.

Is the big square "TV" ref. 01.0200.415 a relative value by comparison? These were produced in larger numbers (5000), but at prices often below $3500, are they a compelling buy today?

zenithblue033.jpg
    (photo borrowed, perhaps from Lou)

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

Not from me - I haven't got one.

You point out an interesting phenomenon. When I got into vintage El Primero about 5 years ago, these were the hot model that everyone knew. When you mentioned early El Primero, people replied "oh yeah, the TV model." They seem to have been left by the wayside now. Taking the historical view, these may have been the first vintage Primero model to see a price bump, and they have been parked at the current price level as the other models have caught up and passed.

I really can't speak to whether it is a "buy" as this model doesn't much appeal to me. For me, this one will never be among the more highly valued Primeros because the design negates one of the key attributes of the movement - it's thinness. What's the point of coming up with the supremely elegant Primero movement, and then housing it in this big steel shackle of a case? Why, the only thing stupider is if you were to take away the date function, and slow down the beat rate. What a piece of second-rate junk that would be. ;)

Interstatetime likes this.
  3. Interstatetime Feb 3, 2014

I love the snide little dis of the Rolodex Cosmo ELP Lou but this is one place where you and I disagree. Usually our taste is in lockstep but I have to say I love the TV. I will admit that I am a big dude with big wrists and the bulky '70s TV look works well on me...but I just like the look.

LittleJohnnyCote

4. Veritas99 Feb 3, 2014

I've alway had a soft spot for the TV model as it's one of the few EPs sold during my birth year. I also have a big wrist so something substantive is not a turn off.

One thing I've noticed is that it's getting harder to find them with the correct date wheel (all the advertising shows a matching blue wheel, but many have been replaced with white).

5. jfwoodman Feb 3, 2014

I know what you mean, Lou. I've been conflicted on this one for years, but I've always desired it. Something about the big hunk of 70's style that I like. The Silverstone is one of my favorite Heuers, afterall.

Is that right? I thought there were legit original versions with the white date wheel? What does Rossler say (I don't have a copy)?

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 3, 2014

LouS is on his own here. My first EP and a massive, chunky pleasure to wear. It will put hair on the pectorals. And on the upper lip. Bushy, luxuriant hair.

[​IMG]

Certainly of the 70's, but for me the design has a more timeless appeal than, say, the A781, another bulky shackle of a watch.

[​IMG]

7. Veritas99 Feb 3, 2014

Rossler shows a blue date wheel....there are also several ads showing blue...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and one showing white...
    [​IMG]

jfwoodman and MMMD like this.