Forums Latest Members
  1. sohail Sep 24, 2013

Hi what should be the safe buying price for zenith s.58 automatic in good original condition. Regards

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 24, 2013

From what I've seen over the last 12 months, S58s seem to be about a year behind a Seamaster 300 in price, so an arm and a leg at the moment. If you wait, you might have to sacrifice a kidney as well if the SM 300 is anything to go by.

The Cal 120 is still the more desirable but I would say $2,500 to $3,000 would be a fair price. They are not as faked/frankened as the SM 300 but there have been some dodgy ones advertised.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2013

So as always the time to buy was last year or the year before

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 24, 2013

Or NOW. If they're going up it's better to buy on the rise than at the peak.

5. sohail Sep 24, 2013

hi the one offered to me is a black dial rotating bezel (bezel original in good condition) , I think cal 2532 PC . Asking price 3000 usd. Looks a little bit high specially with a common movement like 2532 PC .........

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 24, 2013

I think it comes down to the condition. Personally I would pay that if it is in really good condition as the S58s are usually quite beat up. My 3cts.

LouS likes this.
  7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 24, 2013

Wot he said. Lay some pics on us.

8. sohail Oct 1, 2013

What do u think......

image.jpg image.jpg
  9. sohail Oct 1, 2013

Hi what do u think of this s.58?

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 1, 2013

The 9 and 6 look like they have been badly re-lumed and I don't like the date window. I'm not sure if there should be a "T" with the "Swiss Made" as it's a 60s model, but perhaps MMMD can confirm this. Overall, it seems to have led a hard life.

11. sohail Oct 1, 2013

I have seen a lot of pics on web all of them show only ,Swiss made, the date window looks clumsy but most of the pics show the same. It's case number starts with 71xxxx , so the movement has to be 25xx. The bezel and thick plastic glass is badly scratched and therefore it looks badly worn out....... Well beggars can't be choosers so I think I'll go for it...

12. sohail Oct 4, 2013

Hi finally got the delivery of the s.58 . It's case serial number is 980xxxx , what would be the approximate year of production for this watch? Regards

13. sohail Oct 13, 2013

14. sohail Oct 13, 2013

Hi pics of zenith s.58 ready to wear .

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 13, 2013

Sohail, for that case number it should be early 25xx series movement inside, like a 2522 or 2532 PC. Zenith dating goes by movement number. Did whoever serviced it note the movement serial number?

Nice and interesting example. What I can see appears to be completely original, excepting the date wheel which I think ought to be white on black, alhtough I have seen black on white in these watches around the interwebs. I used to be skeptical about these dials with "AUTOMATIC" in block capitals instead of cursive, but this is the third I've seen like this, so given that nothing else on the dial looks redone, I am coming around to their authenticity. The absence of the "T" which Stewart remarks upon is OK, as this is probably about 1960 model. I don't love the green-tinted relume on the hands, but I am aware it is hard to find a watchmaker who will take the trouble to match the lume color. Most interesting is the very early pattern Zenith bracelet - not many around like that.

16. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 13, 2013

Congrats on finally finding one Sohail. Looks like it cleaned up nicely though I will only relume the hands only if my watchmaker can match the colour to the patina on the bezel. Just one question, is the crown original. I have seen S58s with signed and unsigned crowns. Which is correct?

17. sohail Oct 13, 2013

Thanks for your comments . Actually I took a chance on this one , when I got the watch in hand , I knew it was genuine authentic s.58. All the components of this watch are evenly aged. When I got it opened the movement was in immaculate condition and nothing needed replacement . The crystel is original although it has tiny crack marks. It is fitted with from inside just like Seamaster 300. There is absolutely no sign of rust on the case and caseback( unusual for divers watch ).
    kepping in view the condition of the overall watch I recon that the date wheel is also original . I intend to keep it as it is but will find white on black one and keep it. The crown is not signed , although I have a signed one but will keep this one on the watch.
    Now regarding lume , my watchmaker has a very peculiar method of matching the lume with rest of the dial. He mixes the rust dust with the radium for matching with rest of the dial........interesting ..... I did not let him do it on this one.
    I got the bracelet clasp and end links from ebay after looking at bill schon s zenith captain in another forum , the links are rolex riveted bracelet.

18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 13, 2013

Very interesting bracelet clasp - where did it come from? My first generation S.58 has an original "brick road" bracelet with a short clasp like that, though the clasp is unsigned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 13, 2013

Ah, that explains it. Bill's is the only other bracelet like that that I have seen, and it does not have riveted links

20. sohail Oct 13, 2013

Amazing what is the movement in white dial rotating bezel one?

image.jpg