Forums Latest Members

Zenith - Revolution Watch A3818 “Cover Girl” re-edition

1. jhross98 Feb 26, 2020

i guess i just view it as they are completely and utterly out of new ideas so take something from 40 years ago and re-make that. i can't think of another luxury consumer good where this has worked

i don't think its good at all for the future of the brand. patek and rolex draw on historical inspiration and in some cases (more patek) have lines that stretch back almost to the beginning of the brand (calatrava) but neither of these companies would EVER just copy and re-issue a historical watch. . for good reason

2. jhross98 Feb 26, 2020

if you're going to do a re-issue. . this I *thoroughly* agree with

cvalue13 likes this.
  3. jhross98 Feb 26, 2020

as an example there is another thread here on the Lupin zenith LE. . that is IMO a spectacular piece, shares the case with the vintage a384.. but no one would mistake it as a vintage watch.

since this thread desperately needs pics. . i do have a reasonably decent a3818. . .

this same dynamic was what prompted me to sell my Railmaster 2914-1 when omega came out with the trilogy. . not sure i ever had any interest in a 2915-1 speedmaster but i certainly don't know that there are 3000 out there that on first glance look just like a brand new original

20190805_151705.jpg

Pazzo, JohnSteed, bazamu and 10 others like this.
  4. Dan S Feb 26, 2020

So it's not only that you don't appreciate the re-issue, but it actually makes you love your vintage watch less, because it feels less special (e.g. the 2914-1). That's interesting. I actually feel the opposite way personally. When a company comes out with a re-issue of a vintage watch that I own, it makes that vintage watch feel more special and desirable to me.

I love your A3818 BTW. And including the shoe in the wrist-shot is a classic. :thumbsup:

Eve, NGO1 and cvalue13 like this.
  5. krh7 Feb 26, 2020

This is lovely. Is this dial the most "desirable" of all made in the a384/a385 case?

6. donashby Feb 26, 2020

I wonder if you can buy the bracelet separately as well? Cool watch too!

7. jhross98 Feb 26, 2020

thx! re: the a3818. it is a very very very good one.

yes. .the shoe makes the pic :)

i can't say whether it is exactly that dynamic or not. . i can say it does not appear to hurt re-sale values as I think i achieved close to the world record price for a 2914-1 at phillips, coming just a month after they sold another one at the world record price (all after the re-issue)

i feel incredibly strongly that these brands that are re-issuing old watches don't have anything new left to offer. . its a cash grab that is a big "tell" that future brand value is unlikely to be on a good trajectory

but i do think at this point i prefer my UGs, Gallets, Enicars, and Movados where at least I know there is no re-issue around the corner !
    and rolex would fit the same bucket

but truthfully i will probably never sell that a3818. its a forever watch IMO

8. cvalue13 Feb 26, 2020

Still available to purchase (up to 4 it looks like), I suspect because the grey buyers know that many of the zenith reintro LEs aren’t trading at a premium?

9. krh7 Feb 26, 2020

I think so. the hodinkee gold g381 limited to 50 (plus 50 year warranty) at $19,200 still has plenty of available too.

10. CaptainWinsor Feb 26, 2020

I totally disagree. Like all the best brands they understand there’s a thriving vintage market that they can tap into by with a modern version of an expensive vintage watch. Patek may rely on inspiration for their watches but the majority of people can’t afford their pieces

11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2020

Noce looking LE and love the bracelet

good hunting to all

bill

cvalue13 likes this.
  12. jhross98 Feb 26, 2020

sorry--what are the "best" brands that are re-issuing vintage pieces ? "best" brands compared to rolex and patek ? which would those be ?

are you talking about omega with the re-issue ed white. . where they are pricing it at a premium to MSRP for a daytona ?

i cannot find a single example of a historical re-issue that trades at a premium to MSRP and in fact most have done very badly. . just like these zenith re-issues in recent time and as mentioned here some of these quite limited LEs aren't even selling out on release

13. krh7 Feb 26, 2020

the speedy tuesday ultraman is the only recent one i can think of.

cvalue13 likes this.
  14. jhross98 Feb 26, 2020

i like that watch
    it is not what i would classify as a historical re-issue, however.

cvalue13 likes this.
  15. wouter van wijk Feb 26, 2020

It is a really interesting piece. I am considering buying it for myself and if it doesn't feel right in the metal flip it. I am a vintage dear but in really arre occasions I buy a new watch when its exceptionally good. I ve watched the shop today. Tried to contact revolution to ask them if I can ship it to a different address (at a friend in Singapore) but they don't respond. Still right now you are able to put 20 pieces in the basket. My guess is they will be sold out tomorrow or the day after.
    Some thoughts. The a3818 Is more iconic and special than the gold 381. Besides the a384 this is the most coveted Primero out there. This re-edition watch differs from the OG a bit but really not that much. I think it's subtle and really well played. I think the one on one kind of copies are a bit f*cked up, since you can only tell the difference when you handle the pieces or when you have a proper worn vintage piece. Also put in perspective that Zenith sold out all of the LEs they made with Phillips. And I think the special with Mr Porter is quite OK.
    On the other hand I fully agree that there are not many brands that bring out col new models. IMHO only the Octo Finissimo is really cool. For the rest there's is only innovation in design and tech from independents what makes me smile.

16. cvalue13 Feb 26, 2020

How about the first Speedy Tuesday Alaska III tribute? Maybe that’s trading roughly flat?

17. rfordo Feb 26, 2020

21 left if anyone was wondering

cvalue13 likes this.
  18. jhross98 Feb 26, 2020

i don't consider either of the Speedy Tuesday watches "historical re-issues". . they are vintage inspired pieces that are new watches. i like both of them a lot. what i hate are 1:1 re-issues of vintage watches. in the case of the zenith, they are not true 1:1 but close enough to qualify. same with the 1957 trilogy watches

cvalue13 likes this.
  19. jhross98 Feb 26, 2020

Yes. This or the a3817. I personally prefer both to the a386..

cchen likes this.
  20. cvalue13 Feb 26, 2020

completely agree - I accidentally bird-walked into that implication