Forums Latest Members
  1. MaximosChalkos Mar 7, 2023

Hi there,

I'm looking at this vintage Zenith Respirator. I don't know anything about vintage Zenith but really like the design of this watch and it looks like it is in decent condition. Doesn't look like a redial either. Attempted to do some research but figured I'd get other opinions on the condition and what you think a fair price would be.

Thanks very much!

zenith1.PNG Zenith2.PNG Zenith3.PNG Zenith4.PNG Zenith5.PNG Zenith6.PNG

bardamu, Dsloan, bubba48 and 3 others like this.
  2. CaptainWinsor Mar 8, 2023

Looks good. No idea on price. Zenith is all over the place when it comes to price

3. TrboDieselPwrd Mar 8, 2023

Agree with the above. This looks like an original watch to me and condition seems good with the dial paint/anodization(?) loss on the edges. I'm not sure how these watches age, so could be natural or could it be due to servicing and handling? I don't know.

Prices are all over...it seems that this model and its variations lives in the $500-2000USD range which isn't too helpful. It seems most of the nicer ones actually sell for $700-1300USD. For yours, it seems that the square (earlier) case (there were more rounded/tonneau shaped ones that don't seem to fetch as much) seems to bring a little more. Additional plusses are the bracelet and the dial being a cool color and having the applied hour track circle thing.

Here's a similar model in nice condition with basic dial and a strap that sold for approx 600EUR on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955094628...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

What does your research tell you? Are you comfortable with what the condition and price of this piece?

Good luck. This looks like a cool watch. Let us know what you decide and post some pics if you get it!

4. slique12 Mar 8, 2023

I own a similar example and so am slightly biased. Based on what I've observed, Respirators with unusual/desirable dials are quite uncommon and seldom come on a bracelet. The case on yours is quite nice and the crown is original as well. So, a lot of plusses in my opinion. The dial does have some tarnishing on the edges but that is very typical of blue painted dials from this era (across many brands). In fact, I've rarely seen blue dials that haven't deteriorated over time. I don't follow the market on these but if you're keen I'm sure the dealer would offer some flexibility on the price. Good luck!

My example below for reference.

A4944444-8D73-42E1-BDE4-542788943FAF.jpeg

Kulee-Baba, bubba48, bardamu and 7 others like this.
  5. MaximosChalkos Mar 9, 2023

Yeah, that’s I noticed as well.
    Dial deterioration doesn’t bother me too much, and I couldn’t find many examples similar. Seems to be on the higher end of price. Bracelet looks nice. Think it’s a very nice piece overall. Will report back if I get it.
    Beautiful watch. The deterioration does appear to be fairly common.

6. StudebakerHawk Mar 9, 2023

Absolutely love that Zenith….

stunning!!!!

slique12 likes this.
  7. Mooieklokjes Apr 2, 2023

They are so cool, but since they weren’t super waterproof, hard to find in good condition.

8. bubba48 Apr 2, 2023

But with a clamshell case...

zenith respirator (15).jpg

zenith respirator (17).JPG

zenith respirator (20).JPG

bardamu and ken_hodson like this.