Forums Latest Members
  1. Interstatetime Mar 5, 2013

This is the airmail envelope which was used to send the letter and instructions regarding the odd ball Zenith watch in my recent post. I thought it would be interesting to post a photo of it because it tells a little bit about Zenith in 1970. They seem to be marketing their deck chronometers.

JohnC

[​IMG]

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 5, 2013

Wow, that logo and branding looks amazing. They should've stuck with that version :)

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2013

Well we'll be set for logos come the day we divide to add "Vintage Zenith Forum":p

4. Interstatetime Mar 5, 2013

It's not that vintage....just postmarked September 15, 1970. The other side has a stamp for the receipt in the US which looks like September 18.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 5, 2013

Great post. Would love a scanned look at the instruction sheet as well.

That logo, referred to as the "NATO star," among the Zenithistas was in use only briefly, superseding the Star and Z-in-Star in the late 1960s, and in turn superseded by the square logo in the early 1970s. Of course, the period of the NATO star has some of the most collectible Zeniths, including the early Primeros, Defys and some of the super-cool dive watches that have been posted on the forum.

I'd say the star logo, which you guys have given the Zenith forum, is porbably the most timeless Zenith logo, and applies to both vintage and modern equally well.

6. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2013

..... and Chrysler. :confused:

7. John Chris Il Duca de Luca Mar 5, 2013

That "NATO Star", for those not used to it, was actually conceived as two stylized 'Z's crossed together. It succeeded the Z-in Star logo, and was replaced by the hard-to -describe square-with-internal-star-sort-of logo, since replaced by the plain 5-pointed star (like on the flag the Titanic flew, and the Dallas Cowboys).

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 5, 2013

Oh, no you don't. Chrysler is a pentagon.

chrysler logo.jpg

9. Interstatetime Mar 5, 2013

The best of all of the logos in my humble opinion...crossed Zs.

10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 5, 2013

It's the bad-ass ninja-star aspect that does it for me.

Interstatetime likes this.