Forums Latest Members

Zenith Elite Port Royal V stops

1. linkaiyu Sep 27, 2013

Hi! I just got my Zenith Elite Port Royal V (Ref # 684) back from revision. It was my dad's watch.
    Is it normal that it stops moving after only one day without wearing it?

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 27, 2013

That would depend on how far it was wound before you took it off. Ordinarily, it should last about two days on a full wind so if it was only half wound, it would stop after a day. The reduction of the auto-winding gears is massive to allow for all of the movement your wrist might make in the course of a day so it may not have been fully wound.

You can't over-wind these because the mainspring slips after it is fully wound so try winding the crown about 40 full turns and seeing how long it runs for (without wearing it) before it stops - make sure the chronograph is not running. If it doesn't last 40 hours, then I would say to take it back to your watchmaker and discuss it with them.

3. linkaiyu Sep 27, 2013

Thanks for the response.
    I've just noticed that it is not possibile to wind manually, I've tried in both directions while it is stopped and it doesn't start..

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 27, 2013

You should move the watch around to activate the rotor winding and when the second hand starts moving, then you can wind it manually.

linkaiyu likes this.
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 27, 2013

Stewart, just so you know, you are breaking forum rules by helping the OP before he has posted a photo!!!! ;)

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 28, 2013

Just as well he didn't. I have only just realised he said it was an Elite and I was talking about an El Primero. :oops: