Forums Latest Members
  1. Hijak Nov 14, 2013

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 14, 2013

Very ambitious price.

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 14, 2013

I think the price is not so steep for a very nice example of an early and relatively rare (1000 made) EP, though you might whittle it down a little. My problem with it is the incorrect paddle sweep second hand; it should be blue. Some might call the red paddle hand an acceptable variant, but I believe it to be a replacement... and good luck finding a blue one.

[​IMG]

bassem abadan and Hijak like this.
  4. Hijak Nov 14, 2013

Thank you for the quick replies and that example is just outstanding::jumpy::...

bassem abadan likes this.
  5. Interstatetime Nov 14, 2013

The watch seems to have been refinished. If you look at the back the brushed ring has been done on a lathe post factory. There are polished scratches on other parts of the watch. Personally I really like the watch. I have no idea whether it is too much or not. I have not seen enough of them for sale. I just think these are way underrated and really cool looking.

JohnCote

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 14, 2013

John has sharp eyes. Perhaps not untouched, but case number remains legible and ninja star looks sharp. I like it too... except for that red paddle.

7. Interstatetime Nov 14, 2013

I will admit that the one example I have seen in the flesh and the couple that I have seen in photos seem to have had the blue hand but it does look pretty nice and normal with the red hand. Does anyone know for sure. I am a huge fan or originality but, as a design element,I sort of like it with the red.

As far as the Refin/polishing is concerned I see it on the top and sides too. It is difficult to say for sure from the web pix but I would take odds that this is not how it left the factory.

JohnCote

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 14, 2013

The blue paddle hand is a unique feature of the A781. It is definitely correct because it doesn't appear on other models... not even the blue-dialed fraternal twin of the A781, the A782. The blue paddle hand creates contrast and stands out against the A781's dial (just as the red hand does on other models). To accept the red paddle hand, you must accept that two versions of the A781 were produced. I doubt that any A781 was originally fitted with a red paddle hand, but controversy arises from the Pfeiffer-Belli archive photo in Rössler, which shows an A781 with a red paddle hand. Rössl-erratum, in my opinion... one that was once brought up by a prominent Zenithista as an argument against the originality of my blue-paddled A781. By the way, Rössler also states that the A781 was produced in 1971, but I believe the bracelet dates and advertising make a better argument for 1973.

9. Veritas99 Nov 14, 2013

A similar blue second hand shows up on the contemporaneous Pilot model, albeit with a slightly extended tip. Unfortunately, all my ads for the watch are in black & white, so there isn't definitive proof. I can tell you MSRP was 141,000 lire when it was introduced.

Interstatetime likes this.
  10. browncow Nov 14, 2013

bassem abadan likes this.
  11. Interstatetime Nov 14, 2013

That looks like a much better watch. I would love to see the back but the top looks great.

12. John Chris Il Duca de Luca Nov 16, 2013

Yes, the Pilot model has a blue sweep, but with a white tip, so the A781 remains unique.

13. John Chris Il Duca de Luca Nov 16, 2013

14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 16, 2013

I think the hour and minute hands are OK. Maybe a lighting issue?

15. saabnut Aug 5, 2023

I have an incoming from the original owners family, was presented in 1971 to him for selling Zenith tv’s in Canada. Blue paddle