Forums Latest Members

Zenith Captain fulll gold. Is that too much

1. Kwijibo Jun 23, 2017

Hi Boys and girls,

I want to make myslef a present for... no special occasion. I was aiming at a Zenith. I have 3 different choices :
    - A classic El primero Chrono, about which ther can be no real mistake
    - An Espada 36000
    - and last choice the Elite captain central second full gold taht I can get new at an amazing price. I find this watch really nice. Reminds me of the 60's full gold dials (connies, Longines, Polerouter). Looks nice on the brown alligator strap.
    My question is, Do you find taht too much. Too pretentious? The size is decent (40mm) an it looks rather slim but I wouldn't like to look as a pimp or a pusher :D, Or just little if can be. not talking about having my arm chopped in the subway.
    Your opinions are welcome

zenith.jpg

wristpirate likes this.
  2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 23, 2017

That is a stunning piece.

For a great price, I say yes.

3. Kwijibo Jun 23, 2017

Hello Watchknut
    -60% of the offical price... I have a few other models in mind like that. I tried on the Overseas the other day. Awsome...
    8878250-14064000.jpg

intro-overseas.png
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 23, 2017

Vacheron is sweet...but I like that Zenith. Plus is is a fraction of the cost of the VC!

propervinyl likes this.
  5. Kwijibo Jun 23, 2017

yep! The only thing I'm sur about is that I won't pay for two of these watches this year :)

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 23, 2017

IM(not so H)O the date on that Is in the wrong place to be a classic Zenith.

kkt likes this.
  7. Kwijibo Jun 24, 2017

Hm, I never thought of that but it does not bother me much.

8. wristpirate Jun 24, 2017

Great choice. Never too much gooooooold

Make sure you buy the one you like the most not because it is heavily discounted. Though that never hurts...

9. Kwijibo Jun 24, 2017

Actually and also for a reason of price I was thinking of that Zenith but in steel. And now it's 1000 euros more in full gold. I've always wanted a rose gold watch. It's just the dial that puzzles me a little.

10. calalum Jun 24, 2017

Buy the one you love the most, not the one with the best price. I for one love gold watches, so to me that is not an issue.

11. RonSwanson Jun 24, 2017

The gp in my opinion is as slavish knock off of the royal oak, I could never wear it for that reason.

Zenith is drop dead gorgeous, but I think that is a function of their relatively weak brand name. Though they are poised to improve their brand equity, so you may be on the ground floor of it.

12. Kwijibo Jun 24, 2017

Hi calalum and Ron
    I do love the Zenith. If was just not my first choice. I was aimaing at a sporty watch, but thinking of it I have many divers' and a classic one would be lovely. And speaking of a dressed gold watch (new) there's not so much choice in that price range if you don't want an ETA or customized ETA. Otherwise I would take a Longienes.
    Why is Zenith a weak brand name??? I think it's one of the best (non to say the best) price/quality brand. The price of the captain is 5200 euros new with box and papers.
    For the GP I actually have exactly the opposite thinking. I don't like the RO for a few reasons, the screws on the bezel taht I don't like much. I find the GP slimer and to that extent more elegant. It's just a matter of taste, I don't say that the RO is crap of course.
    I personnally find this GP really gorgeous.

13. rahilb Jun 25, 2017

Go for the VC!

14. sjg22 Jul 5, 2017

I dont believe any of the choices would be seen as pretentious - all of those brands are ones that aren't really known to the general public. I world bet you would have more people comment about a quartz Tag Heuer Aquaracer than a full gold Zenith or vacheron.

I would echo the other comments - buy the one you really want (for me would be the Zenith or VC) as one other thing these brands all share is they tend to depreciate from new fairly quickly.

15. brockburst Jul 7, 2017

I don't hate it

16. brockburst Jul 7, 2017

The dial is rather captivating actually