Forums Latest Members
  1. bigsom Aug 17, 2016

This one is for sale on another forum. I really would like to try a 37 - 38 mm vintage watch. The case looks beaten up and so does the dial. I just haven't seen any of these watches in *great* shape. One of the members here had one similar but was in gold. What do you guys think? Any thoughts are appreciated but to me it looks like the dial and hands match and are original.

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=795666&rid=0

2. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 17, 2016

Looks all original to me. Case shows some wear, nothing a good replate can't fix. Not too sure about the dial - could potentially be an early redial as it is missing Swiss/Swiss Made on the bottom. Price is on the expensive side.

3. bigsom Aug 18, 2016

Thank you for your reply. The dial is what I am most interested in as to my eye it looks quite good for a watch from the 40s. I wasn't expecting it to be a redial, but I am very new at trying to spot them.

Were all these era zeniths marked as swiss/swiss made?

4. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 18, 2016

Well, looking at a list of serial numbers for movements (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/zenith-serial-number-dating-355335-5.html), this Zenith is actually from 1956 or thereabouts. I'm tempted to say that the dial is redone as the printed minute indices are slightly off the same angle as the 12 - 3 - 6 - 9 markers. As for the Swiss/Swiss Made lettering, some dials were different and didn't feature the printing. Information from another thread on the forums here:

I'll let an expert decide; however I hope my information has helped!

bigsom likes this.
  5. bigsom Aug 18, 2016

Thank you very much for linking the serial number reference and information on the Swiss marking.

I'm tending to agree with you on the dial. Thanks again for your help and experience.

6. dx009 Aug 18, 2016

It's most likely a redialed Zenith. I saw a different model a few months ago and it had similar dial characteristics. That one had Swiss Made on it though.

Crown is obviously a replacement.

Too expensive in my opinion.

Zenith was and is a well known watch manufacturer and that dial does not pertain to their quality standards.

7. bigsom Aug 18, 2016

Thank you for the opinions and expertise.

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 20, 2016

They are definitely Swiss case and movement numbers so the dial should be marked accordingly.