Forums Latest Members
  1. buchnoun Sep 10, 2019

Hi,
    Would love to get your opinion on this seamaster from 1974. I recently bought her non-functionning but overall in good condition I think? The 1012 movement looks good, I need to find time for a complete service and hopefully she'll be up and running :)
    According to the serial numbers it's all original, the dial looks very nice though... I regret the logo is not 3D only painted...
    How much do you think it's valued? :)

IMG_3746.jpeg IMG_3748.jpeg IMG_3749.jpeg

BlackTulip likes this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 10, 2019

As a non runner? 100-200, pick your currency

TwinPeaks and lando like this.
  3. buchnoun Sep 10, 2019

could you elaborate?

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 10, 2019

You asked what we thought it is worth, I covered that but what else do you want to know? It looks straight but it has a few factors holding back the desirability. That and the fact it will cost maybe 200-300 to service properly put a pretty hard cap on value. Watches like this have a lot of 1970s feel and do have followers but the integrated bracelet, painted logo, cushion case and plain Undecorated 10xx movement are all drawbacks vs the earlier 50s and 60s models to many collectors. This affects the value. Like I say, as a watch needing work I would expect it to fetch maybe $/£/€ 100-200. Maybe double or triple that when serviced but as already noted servicing isn’t cheap and gets priced into the value of non running watches, or pretty much any watch on eBay where sellers routinely lie!

Maybe I am being pessimistic, as a runner it would have fans but I still think mid hundreds even then.

lando, DaveK, Mark020 and 1 other person like this.
  5. buchnoun Sep 10, 2019

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated :)

6. dan7800 Sep 10, 2019

More educated people can chime in, but I'd think that without knowing what is wrong, expecting to spend $200-300 to get it properly working and perform a full service is quite low.

Kek25 and padders like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Sep 10, 2019

I love this era of Omega, particularly this style Seamaster, but I equally love my 50's & 60's Seamasters- just a different esthetic. I got the ladies version of your watch for my lady a few years ago and she loves it.
    But as Padders said, the audience is limited and the prices are still very low on this modernist era of Omega. To put it in perspective, I picked up a '69 Constellation in this style for $400, it is near flawless and was working perfectly. I had a service done to the tune of $300 so now have $700 into a watch that is probably still only worth $600...and that's a Connie which is higher up the totem pole than the Seamaster.

People collect this era of Omega because they love them, not because they want to make money on them.

ALinares, Davidt, lando and 1 other person like this.
  8. buchnoun Sep 10, 2019

I totally agree on that, I didn't buy it to make money. This watch was produce the year I was born, I intend to give it to my son later... I'm confident I can make it work again, and I like the vintage style of this one. All the parts are genuine (or at least it seems to me) so for the money I spent I'm quite happy :) The movement is said to be indestructible so I can't imagine a big issue on it!

ALinares and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Sep 10, 2019

Let us know where you are in the world and someone can reccomend a reputable watchmaker in your area. Rip off the bad aid on the price of service and it’s done-reliable for the next decade- then keep up the cycle and it will run forever.

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 10, 2019

Well said. Just bear in mind my experience of that family of movements isn't as happy as with others, they can be troublesome. If I sounded cynical above perhaps I should point out that it may well have been made in my birth year too, I am not a hater. We born in the early 70s were not blessed with high point choices for BY watches unfortunately. Cue a million responses with lovers of horrible Genta port hole things telling me how blessed we are!

11. buchnoun Sep 10, 2019

really? I read a lot of good things about this movement... Can you advise me about where to look at in particular? Not sure I understood 100% of what you mean at the end of your message (I'm french my english can get a bit basic sometimes:) but FYI the watch is from 1974 according to the serial number!

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 10, 2019

The movement has compromises on dial side parts thickness to reduce the overall movenet height, or so I read. There are also tales of cannon pinion and date change mechanism issues. Personally though I just don’t like the paperclip regulator spring and overall lack of decoration. Not a functional complaint I know!

My last comment was simply that even though I don’t find the early 1970s an inspiring period for watch design, there will be those who worship other integrated bracelet designs like the AP Royal Oak (designed by Genta). I am less of a fan.

buchnoun likes this.
  13. buchnoun Sep 10, 2019

Got it now :) I agree those bracelets are not my favourite either, but I have to say on this one it fit very well and the build quality make it a pleasure to wear... I don't think a leather one will fit the case design anyway...
    As you seem quite an expert on the subject did you see my other thread regarding the Omega technical documentation? Would love to know the answer for the lubrication part :)
    Nice talking ot you ;)

14. ALinares Sep 10, 2019

I think that this watch is fantastic. The most important thing is that you really like it. The fact that came from the same year you were born seems important. Because it shows the design style of that era.
    The value... Is absolutly relative.
    And if you don't like the strap, try another one, just keep safe the original.
    That's my opinion.

JwRosenthal and buchnoun like this.
  15. JwRosenthal Sep 10, 2019

Unfortunately these watches don’t allow for strap changes, the bracelet is integrated. I have seen some people who have modified straps to fit but they always look off. Frankly, I love these integrated bracelets (provide they are the right length- finding links can be a nightmare). I whole heartedly agree that they speak to a design esthetic that is currently under-appreciated, but may not always be.

ALinares and buchnoun like this.
  16. JwRosenthal Sep 10, 2019

And this is the ladies version of your watch 8404EF74-A883-4A8C-B791-7262FC2C3E82.jpeg

Walrus and buchnoun like this.
  17. buchnoun Sep 10, 2019

I see you got the 3D logo on your dial : lucky you :) mine is only painted and that's my only true regret! As I said the bracelet fits very well the case and it's really nice to wear... I'm currently restoring an Enicar but will let you know how it goes with the seamaster asap :)

18. spacemission Sep 10, 2019

I love 70's watches.

19. BlackTulip Sep 11, 2019

Beautiful watch - what reference is it?

20. buchnoun Sep 11, 2019

It is 166.0206 if that’s what you want to know ?