Forums Latest Members

Your recommendation for 9k or 18k Omega Ladies Watch

1. Kik_Kat_Kish Jul 30, 2022

Good evening OF,

My Brother and Sister In Law had their first child born at the start of the week. Normally we would get something in Indian gold such as a bracelet, pendant or ring to mark the celebration as a keep safe. Looking at spending <£500.00.

However I would like to get my Niece a gold Omega watch as it would personal to me as she will in future associate the gift with her Uncle who loves watches and in particular Omega watches.

Screenshot_20220730-200638_eBay.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35417915...LgW3GExSM-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPYPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

My initial thoughts were along the lines of this cal 625 watch I saw on Ebay. As the design is quite refined and delicate. I would love to read what your recommendations on what ladies references/models to look out for?

2. kaplan Jul 30, 2022

Spending 3X - you could get an 34mm 18K watch, lately ladies prefer vintage Men's sizes as well - you can PM me for a UK lead

Otherwise the one you shared looks pretty good, from experience buying a Ladies Omega is quite challenging, if two gifters collide, watches explode over market averages, and it's the worst watch to spend money on as the demand is just not there (yet?)

3. Kik_Kat_Kish Jul 30, 2022

Great advice @kaplan! I don't think my budget would stretch that far, but thank you for the offer. I'll take note about setting a realistic budget for the ladies watches I'm looking to buy. Would looking at Genève and De-Ville models be the best option to look at?

4. kaplan Jul 30, 2022

I remember 18K yellow gold and white gold ladies C-Case models selling for around $500 - but it was a "when it rains it pours" situation, I've seen like 5 in a span of 2 weeks, this was more than 6 months ago and not one since

So it's a good idea to keep an eye out, but realistically you'd be looking at a year long journey, if you passively do it, it's doable, but as an active effort, seems impossible

In the meantime, this one at least has the WG bezel: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OM...pid=5338899135&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. Kik_Kat_Kish Jul 30, 2022

@kaplan I see you've recommended a C-case connie ;). That's a great suggestion didn't think about looking at the ladies C-cases but now I will :thumbsup:

6. kaplan Jul 30, 2022

Keep in mind that the prices are high, it should be a $200~ watch for steel

Kik_Kat_Kish likes this.
  7. DON Jul 30, 2022

Personally. I would buy a bracelet or necklace.

16 - 18 years from now. Who knows what type of technology will be available. You could just say "Time" and any device on your person will tell you the time through ear pods without looking

Will teens even care about watches in 16 years. Majority don't wear them now

Watches are a personnel choice and how will you feel if she doesn't wear it?

Bracelet or necklace are always in

DON

8. Kik_Kat_Kish Jul 31, 2022

Cheers Don for your feedback. Most teens I know wear apple watches or fit bits and the like. I'm hoping she keeps it for sentimental reasons rather than expecting her to wear it in her later years. In the meantime I should have plenty of time to pass on my enthusiasm for watches on to her within the next 16 to 18 years.

On a side note I remember growing up in the 90s as a kid only knowing quartz watches with Casio and Swatch being the most popular brands from my childhood.

9. noless Jul 31, 2022

Having hunted a number of ladies omega's patience is the key.

They can be found at pretty good prices, but as kaplan has said, you really do have to be patient.

When I was actually actively trying to find a gold one, I was actually surprised at how much harder they can be to find, at least in a condition that I felt happy to gift to the missus. The ones with rust under the gold cap are an excellent source for movements and parts though, as they can often be had for a bargain.

Also keep in mind also that the crystals can be a lot harder to come by, and as a result if you find a nice example but it needs a new crystal you might be surprised at just how much of your total spend ends up being the crystal.

I figure I should also mention to keep in mind servicing costs as well, especially because the cost of an overhaul is often the same as the actual watch cost, but I think you are probably already aware of this.

Good luck with the hunt if you do decide to go down this route.

Kik_Kat_Kish, mac_omega and kaplan like this.
  10. Kik_Kat_Kish Jul 31, 2022

Thanks @noless for sharing your experience. Out of curiosity what did you end up gifting your wife?

11. Bourne1984 Jul 31, 2022

Sound advice

12. kaplan Jul 31, 2022

I feel like she’d grow up to be someone who’d rock a 34mm 18K C-Case with style :)

13. Dan S Jul 31, 2022

FIFY.

14. noless Jul 31, 2022

The ones she actually uses are these 3, though before I fixed up these autos she didn't even seem to mind winding up some little 620 and 625 cal watches.

I sometimes think that these watches were more for me than her :whistling: , they provided excellent learning opportunities for me to practice my watch making.

As is always the case I spent a long time hunting out that C-case so that she could match one of mine, and her favourite is the SS seamaster instead.

20220731_230342.JPG
  15. Kik_Kat_Kish Jul 31, 2022

Can totally understand this statement!

Those three watches look stunning especially the fluted bezel of the C Case!

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 31, 2022

Those ladies C-case Constellations are really very charming.

Kik_Kat_Kish likes this.