Forums Latest Members

Your opinion on my Polerouter please.

1. sxl2004 Jul 1, 2017

Hi,

I would like to get your opinion on my Polerouter cal215-2 please. I bought it a few years back in the infancy of my watch collecting from an well known dealer. Since I am reducing my collection (you might have noticed :D), I am contemplating the fate of this Polerouter. So I would like to get your collective wisdom for me to form my opinion on the "originality/ authenticity/ correctness".

Thanks

The pictures are from the dealer I bought it from.

IMG_7966.JPG IMG_7967.JPG IMG_7968.JPG IMG_7969.JPG IMG_7970.JPG

2. bovecHD Jul 1, 2017

Very cool style, i had not see this model before. Any clue what the name "polerouter" refers to? Early Telecom or Telegraph services?

3. Oku Jul 1, 2017

4. bovecHD Jul 1, 2017

Thanks OKU, I am new to beyond the 10 most common brands and learning.

5. Severin Jul 1, 2017

Hands, crown, datewheel and movement are correct. Lugs are on the buttery side, but it might just be photos. The crystal is a replacement and the dial is refinished. Hope this helps. Thanks.

P.s. For what it's worth, I think the strap pairing is lovely. I've never had a side stitch strap before, might try one out in the future.

RJwatches likes this.
  6. sxl2004 Jul 1, 2017

Thanks for your honest opinion.
    Learning more bout UGs I was suspicious about the dial.
    Now I am disappointed at the dealer for selling this as original. :eek:

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 1, 2017

If you bought on eBay, you may have grounds for a return claim.

I concur on the redial. Not a good one.
    gatorcpa

PS - Here's a good close up on one that I sold to a member here a couple of years ago

[​IMG]

sxl2004 likes this.
  8. gop76 Jul 1, 2017

Bad redial and overpolished

@Severin are you sure about the seconds hand? I have many doubts, looks too short...

9. sxl2004 Jul 1, 2017

Thanks.
    Not bought on EBay, but a few years ago from Analogshift.
    By now I have learned not to be to trusting in most dealers.
    :(

10. Severin Jul 1, 2017

Good catch! :thumbsup: You're right: it does look short - the tips of all of mine get closer to the chapter ring. What's odd about it is that the shape was so closely matched.

This I find almost shocking (I.e. That they would claim it as original); they sell some very expensive and well researched pieces and this one is so clearly a redial. I might be able to understand if it came from an amateur, non collector who didn't know it was repainted, but from a place that specializes in vintage watches? Inexcusable on their part, provided your memory serves well.

Edit: re: sells vintage watches: and not only vintage watches in general, but also Universal Geneves and Polerouters in particular.

11. sxl2004 Jul 1, 2017

You are right, memory is fickle. So I went back to the transaction. I first dibbed the IG post below

https://instagram.com/p/xzu2O1LM5J/

Looking back they never claimed originality, but I somehow naively inferred this, giving the mood of the post and the reputation of the dealer.

But I really do not want to whine about it. Lesson learned. One of the reasons of this post was to get confirmation on the watch and giving me a path forward in deciding to keep or move the watch and if moving the watch on how to correctly represent the watch. I do not want to pass this watch on giving the impression of a gorgeous original watch.

Edited Jul 1, 2017
    R3D9, Severin and OMGRLX like this.
  12. kreyke Jul 2, 2017

Wow I'm surprised. A lot of vintage watch sellers stay away from redial at all.

And they described it as "nicest polerouter we've seen in a long while"

sxl2004 likes this.
  13. R3D9 Jul 2, 2017

If you paid at the time what would have been considered the market rate for an original, I would consider connecting with Analog Shift and requesting consideration of a partial refund.

While they didn't state that the dial was original, their enthusiasm in the linked IG post, combined with their reputation, would have made me fairly confident in its originality. Well, at least in my early days of watch buying. Now I'm skeptical of anything not purchased new, directly from an AD.

You would think during your communication with them that they would have disclosed the redial issue. Surely they were aware. As someone who has admired many Polerouters from afar, I could instantly see this was a redial... the guys at AS would have surely realized it was a redial as well.

I'd connect with them and see what they're willing to do for you. Reputation is everything for an online retailer that makes a living charging significant markups over private sales... people pay a premium because they feel safe buying from them.

jumpingsecond and sxl2004 like this.
  14. sxl2004 Jul 2, 2017

Thanks for the advise and encouragement.
    I will contact them after the 4th, giving me sometime to get over the disappointment and be a calmer person.

R3D9 likes this.
  15. bovecHD Jul 2, 2017

Saw this one go in auction this weekend. Had not clue of value. Guessing if this one picture represents its condition. Then someone got a nice unit.

upload_2017-7-2_23-30-47.png

16. kreyke Jul 3, 2017

$1600 before premium? Is that really a nice unit?

17. ConElPueblo Jul 3, 2017

That sounds... Expensive. Is it solid gold?

My experience with dealers is that they will try with all their might to recoup any outlay. If they bought a dog too expensively, this will usually mean non-commiting descriptions and photos or downright fraud, faking and frankeneering.

18. jumpingsecond Jul 3, 2017

When you contact them you may choose to point this out quoted from their website under the Founder: "Put off by the way in which the traditional vintage watch market was run, James positioned Analog/Shift to be a new kind of resource for the discerning enthusiast - dedicated to authenticity above all."

R3D9, ConElPueblo and sxl2004 like this.
  19. gop76 Jul 3, 2017

Isn't this the same watch?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Universal-Ge...777476?hash=item3ae65a4004:g:EAkAAOSwjL5ZC3XHPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Anyway, if this watch worth 1600 usd (gold plated, horribly polished, wrong crown and from a least desireable period) i'm richer than i thought:

390809-fe3cbc9571b37e26f70a4b1da718fd35.jpg

x3no and jsflog like this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 3, 2017

Ooooh, shiny! ::screwloose::

You can find these in solid 18K for that price without having to buy sunglasses to cut the glare. :cool:

gatorcpa

rolokr likes this.