Forums Latest Members
  1. DirkM Jun 28, 2020

Hi all
    Noob here, so apologies if I'm in the wrong place or this information can be found elsewhere
    The watch pictured came into my possession from my father who got it from his father
    The strap is no longer on it as was broken and appears to be just a cheap stainless steel one anyway
    I've read that any serial numbers should be either on the movement or on the inside of the back cover
    Can anyone give me their opinion on this just from the look, approx date, model etc
    TIA
    DirkM

IMG_20200627_151758.jpg
  2. DirkM Jul 11, 2020

I have eventually got the watch opened and have attached a couple more photos of the inside
    It's in a Dennison Case 13332 and was made in 1958
    Manually Wound 267 calibre and 17 Jewels
    What does the A and R stand for?
    Could anyone also advise what kind of strap it would have originally sold with? As I would like to keep it as original as possible

I had it serviced when I first got it and was also wondering if there was a name for this range of watch a la Seamaster, Speedmaster, De Ville etc
    Thanks for any help

IMG_20200711_164459.jpg IMG_20200711_163857.jpg
  3. SkunkPrince Jul 12, 2020

Avance and Retard, French for slower and faster.

Lightly-padded black crocodile would have been usual about this time. Hirsch makes some nice ones.

Probably no name. Alas it is not in the vintage database. We here refer to these collectively as 30mm because that is the size of the movement.

DirkM likes this.
  4. amcclell Jul 12, 2020

This is a nice old watch with a highly regarded manual wind 30mm movement. These were workhorses and although not highly collectible, if you get it serviced and take care of it, you will be able to continue with the tradition and pass it along to the next generation. Enjoy and appreciate!

bardamu and DirkM like this.
  5. DirkM Jul 12, 2020

Thanks for both of your replies

6. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jul 12, 2020

Nice watch. Can I ask is the Dennison case a 3 part case, that is, does the bezel come off separately? I have quite commonly seen these in a 3 part Dennison 13322 case but I haven't seen a 13332 case before. Very good quality cases.

DirkM likes this.
  7. DirkM Jul 12, 2020

Hi there
    Sorry for being completely unknowledgeable but how will I find this out - I got the back off for the photos and back on but wouldn't honestly know how to check what you ask

8. DON Jul 12, 2020

Nice watch. Casual get a light tan strap or dressy. Black. Semi padded (not thick)

Probably early 60's due to the hands.

It's a 3 piece case design. Can tell due to the two outside screws sitting atop the lip of the case drawing the movement tight to hold in place

DON

size11s and DirkM like this.