Forums Latest Members

You can own ONE Omega – which one is it, and why?

1. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 5, 2015

Alright guys, this post is going to be a doozie.

I'm trying to figure out which watch I want to keep and hold onto for the rest of my life. I really want that one watch, the one that I'll wear on most of my important days (a promotion, a wedding, my first child being born, college graduation, etc.). The only problem is, I have NO idea which watches to rank above the others. I'll list my top picks below, and after reading them, I'd like to know (and even see) what your guys' (and gals') "forever watch" is.

A few factors I'm considering in this pick are the following: (1) I have to be able to get it either new or lightly used. As cool as the vintage pieces are (the 1957 trio, for example), I want a piece that has lots of life in it if I am planning on wearing it forever. (2) It will have to be able to be serviced, basically forever. For instance, the Omega Cal. 1120 will (in my opinion) be serviceable for decade after decade, simply because the majority of parts are so readily available. (3) It will have to stand the test of time. Kind of relating to the last factor, but I am also including style in this one. If a cool, modern watch now looks terrible in ten years to everyone else, chances are my tastes will have developed and it will look terrible to me as well (think of cars – you're ecstatic when you get it new, but 10 years later you might hate looking at it. For example, a 2001 Olds Mobile Intrigue). But, then, there are cars that even after 10 years, you're still in love with it (a classic Porsche 911, for example).

Here are my current top picks:

1) The Omega Speedmaster 3570.50: I feel like this may be one of the last Speedmaster Professional models that truly live up and are directly related to the original Moonwatch. Being that you can still score them new, I am highly tempted to pick one up. Plus, the movement is so common that I have few doubts that parts will not be around in the future. And, the style has been "in" for over five decades, so it has already proven that it is a timeless design.

2) The Omega Seamaster Professional 8400 Master Co-Axial: I love this watch (besides the caseback, which I ranted about a little over a week ago). It's a modern watch heavily based off a vintage (and timeless) design – the 1957 Seamaster. Plus, Omega will be putting in Master Co-Axial movements into many, many watches in the future (to my knowledge), so I am predicting that this movement will be serviceable for many, many years as more and more Omegas come with them straight from the factory. My only peeves with this piece are (1) the caseback with the egregious writing all around the sapphire and (2) the lugs that are about as big as a sabertooth tiger's fangs.

3) The WatchCo Seamaster Professional 300: This is one I'm also highly considering. I know it's not put together in an Omega factory, but it's awesome how you can get one in NOS condition with all original parts. I also love the design, and I think that, over the next couple of decades, this will be an incredibly rare and unique piece. Again, this one, just like the previous two watches above, has stood the test of time. People (including myself) still love the design, even though it's over 40 years old.

Those are my top three picks. Don't get me wrong, I am into collecting things, so chances are that in the long run, I'll have WAY more than one piece (even if I don't wear them all, I like having collections). I'm just looking for that one, special piece that can withstand 30+ years of harsh wear, day after day (realistically, more like 4 or 5 days per week – I'll still wear other watches :)).

So, I want to hear your guys' top picks – what are they, and why?

2. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2015

Oh no, the "one watch" fantasty again. ::facepalm2:: If that were possible for ANY of us, we wouldn't be posting on a watch forum! :p

3. Shem Mar 5, 2015

Your criteria and description of why you want this particular piece basically reads exactly like the reasons people buy the Speedy Pro, which is #1 on your list.

Tritium and ffej4 like this.
  4. djmusicman Mar 5, 2015

Just 1 watch is too hard ;) but if i could only have 3 i'd have 1. Tritium Speedy with nice patina 2. Silver dial Datejust 16014 3. JLC memovox on a leather strap

musicamega and ffej4 like this.
  5. epl108 Mar 5, 2015

Agree with Dennis that you can't really pick just one, and also in 10 years your budget and tastes will certainly be different so you may want a different "forever" watch.

If I had to choose one of the three you mention it would 100% be the speedmaster though - it can be dressed up or down a lot more than either of the divers can and if you're thinking of wearing it with a suit for graduation or promotions, a diver will look silly IMHO.

Just my $0.02

SpikiSpikester, watchme and ffej4 like this.
  6. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 5, 2015

Hahaha, touche! I guess I'm just curious which watches people have really bonded with over the years.

7. Hijak Mar 5, 2015

Not another one of these threads!:eek:

ffej4 likes this.
  8. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 5, 2015

I'm 95% inclined to go with the Speedy. I totally agree. It has got to be one of the most versatile watches (with an amazing history) on the planet.

9. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 5, 2015

I'm sorry! I figured that these may have been posted 10,000 times in the past. I was just hoping to generate some discussion on peoples' preferences and why they have those preferences! :confused:

10. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2015

Never liked the Speedmaster Pro on my wrist. I respect the whole NASA / space connection, but don't like the way it fits me.

To my way of thinking, the Centenary reference 2500 is a more important watch in Omega's history. It spawned the Constellation line, which elevated Omega to new heights. Longines was the brand most others aspired to be in the 40's, but the 2500 with it's JUB chronometer bumper caliber started Omega down a path that would lead to them surpassing Longines in the 60's.

11. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 5, 2015

You really should have posted this on WUS.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2015

Yea we're not really in favour of one watch ownership here, its something we've been discouraging since 2011. Stick to one woman, have as many watches as you can justify or hide.

13. Maximus84 Mar 5, 2015

I wanted a watch for exactly the same reasons. I did a helluva lot of research, and visited a few ADs. I bought a Speedy Pro Sapphire Sandwich. Pleased with my choice.

ffej4 likes this.
  14. nlogax Mar 5, 2015

Whelp, I've got two of those three, for similar reasons of timeless design, easy maintenance and (relative) affordability; hoping to keep them for a long long time. Would a 56x Constellation meet the criteria too?

ffej4 likes this.
  15. OmegaRookie Mar 5, 2015

From the 3 you suggest, this is the watch that will suit all the situations you describe. image.jpg

I would also consider an AT Master Co-Ax as it suits most situations. I would also look at a ceramic Planet Ocean 8500. Not the orange one l have, the black less flashy one. If I only had one watch the orange is a bit too bright for some situations.

watchme, CdnWatchDoc and ffej4 like this.
  16. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 5, 2015

Okay, okay.

I'll clarify now: I'm not trying to figure out the ONLY watch I should buy, I guess I'm looking for the best daily wearer. One that can stand up to being worn and tossed around multiple times per week, year after year.

I am all for building a collection - even if I find my daily watch, there's no doubt I'll be buying more pieces. I've always been a collector - Star Wars toys, guitars, coins, you name it. If I get into something, I start collecting.

So, I should rephrase the title to, "what's your favorite daily wearer, and why?"

Sorry, guys. Didn't mean to go against the collector's view. I'm just looking for a rugged and timeless piece I won't be afraid to take with me everywhere!

17. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 5, 2015

ALSO, I love all of the three Omegas I listed in the original post. Right now, I'm sort of limited to one (and will be until I graduate). Eventually, I'd like to own all three and then some :)

18. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2015

The best modern Omega you could buy to fit all occasions would be the Aqua Terra. It hs 150 m of water resistance so it can handle beach and beater duty, yet looks classy enough to be worn with business casual attire. Put it on a decent leather strap and you could wear it with a suit - although changing from bracelet to strap and back again is not for an amateur.

cicindela, NT931, watchme and 3 others like this.
  19. base615 Mar 5, 2015

Can't do a single watch personally but I could do 2 if forced to:

1. Casual - Watchco SM300
    2. Dress - Pie Pan Constellation (168.005 probably)

IMO the best single watch option is a Skyfall Aqua Terra. Pretty versatile piece that would look good in any situation.

watchme likes this.
  20. Flingit1200s Mar 5, 2015

I'm not quite sure how durable the bezel & hezalite is on the 3570.50 compared to the others but I really like mine and plan on wearing it a ton even if it does gather a few scars. An uncle once told me that chicks dig scars! :cool:

watchme and ffej4 like this.