Forums Latest Members

Yeah...Yeah..another which to sell to fund a Speedy thread!

1. Audley Yung Jun 24, 2015

[​IMG]

So..here's my humble collection. Only 2 watches.

I've had the Blue Seamaster for many years and I've always loved it. It's a dated but classic design, although not timeless like the Speedmaster. It's just not very versatile because I feel that it doesn't look good with Nato or leather straps. I've been wearing it as is for quite some time. Same old Same old but it is a watch that I have a lot of feelings about. I'm a huge James Bond fan and I adore this watch for what it did for Omega in the mid 90's even though it's very ubiquitous. But regardless of movie lore or not, I find this watch to be beautiful, more beautiful than any variation of Seamasters, even the 2254.50 and the new ceramic versions. The 41mm case fits my wrist perfectly and unlike other beat up looking Seamasters out there, mine is in perfect condition and is very catchy on the wrist.

The other watch is my Ball Fireman Racer DLC which I recieved 2 months ago. It was a college graduation present from my mother. She spent quite a bit of time browsing stores on her vacation to buy this watch. I didn't ask her to buy me a watch, but she did it anyways because she knows I like watches. As far as the Ball's design, it doesn't speak to me the way the Seamaster or Speedmaster does. I'm also not a huge fan of the blacked out look and 43mm casing, although I feel the watch is beautiful in its own right, it's just not very me. If it wasn't a grad gift from my mom, I wouldn't have second thoughts about selling it. I find that I don't really wear it much either because it's pretty thick and just overall, not really my style. I'll say that it is a unique watch though and not many people have a Ball.

I've been lusting for an Omega Speedmaster Pro for a very long time now and I'm feeling more and more antsy for one. Something in the used $2,500 bracket will get me something in decent condition. I've always admired its beauty and classic design and how it's so versatile with different straps. A chrono would be nice because i'm always timing things especially since I ride my bicycle alot.

I actually put the Ball on Ebay and another for sale forum already, but have lots of lingering doubts. I feel like regardless of what watch it is, i should keep it because my mom bought it for me as a gift to highlight a life achievement. But what good is a watch if it just sort of, sits there all the time.

What do you all think? Sell the Seamaster because I've had it for so long already or just forget sentimentality and go through with selling the Ball? or just suck it up and save for another year or 2 to get the Speedmaster to have a nice little 3 watch collection? (the Speedmaster is most likely the last watch I'll get for a very long time, I'm not a huge watch fan collector, there are just a couple pieces which i really like. I'd be hard pressed to ever get a Patek, AP, Breitling just cause i'm not a fan of their designs. My grail watch is a Rolex 5513 but don't expect to get that for another 10 years.)

2. Speedy1 Jun 24, 2015

In my mind, the Ball was a well thought out gift, and thus, it should stay. You can always buy another Bond, but not another mom

Mad Dog, logan2z, Dombo63 and 5 others like this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 24, 2015

You gotta keep the Ball watch. My spouse bought me a Bulova 15+ years ago. Does not work, not sure why, as I changed the battery, but I still keep it. Kinda just the way it is...

4. yinzerniner Jun 24, 2015

I concur with Speedy1; imagine "the one that got away" syndrome times ten if you ever had to explain to moms why you got rid of the Ball. Also, I think you'll probably get more in the sale from the SMP 300 than the Ball, so you'll be better funded in your search for a Speedy Pro. Win-win

Speedy1 likes this.
  5. Flingit1200s Jun 24, 2015

I say keep both. Good speedmasters are not rare just cool. Set aside a few dollars every month and you'll have $2500 before you know it.

6. peep Jun 24, 2015

yes -- keep both and save -- it will give you more time for research.. (says the girl that just bought her first watch after falling in love with it! :) )

Tritium, Mad Dog and Event horizon like this.
  7. italy1861 Jun 24, 2015

Keep them both, sounds like each watch has meaning to you... Speedy Pro's aren't going anywhere...

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 24, 2015

Get the graduation gift off E-Bay and any other place it's listed, ASAP, and don't think for a moment of selling it to buy another watch. A watch is just a thing, but when it's given with love it becomes something very, very special that transcends cost, utility, even appearance.

Mad Dog, jcmartinez98 and oddboy like this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 24, 2015

Agree that you don't want to sell it out from under you mom. Maybe you could talk to her about it though. Explain that you're yearning for a different type and would like to transfer her intent to the speedy. It is just a thing, and I'm sure what she wanted was for you to be happy and have something to remember the event by. I think you could transfer all the to a speedy. It even becomes part of the story of how you got the watch you always wanted, fulfilled partially by your mom's gift.

Tritium and Mad Dog like this.
  10. stizzy Jun 24, 2015

Keep the Ball. It sounds like your mom put a lot of thought and effort into this to celebrate something special. That's alone is worth a lot more than what you will get for it. If you absolutely can not wait any longer for the speedy, sell the seamaster. But my recommendation is to stay patient and to save up. There are so many speedies out there, there is no reason to rush.

Mad Dog likes this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 24, 2015

Your mom loves you.

She would want you to have the watch you really want.

One that you will not just cherish, but will wear and cherish.

So...

'Fess up, then sell the Ball and get a Speedy.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 24, 2015

Finally a sensible bit of advice.

oddboy likes this.
  13. Paedipod Jun 24, 2015

Have to admit that I sold a Panerai that my wife bought me for an anniversary present..........$$ turned into a one-off piece, she was informed though at every step starting from the "not quite loving this watch anymore" through to the final pickup of the new one that I actually wear a lot. Both of us are happier. Although she says she won't buy me another watch......:confused:

14. WatchVaultNYC Jun 24, 2015

Keep both, and save up for a Speedy Pro. I actually saw a Bond SMP on blue sailcloth strap and it looked great.

15. Superdoc Jun 24, 2015

This... Amortize 2500 over the life of that watch.... Do you really need to sell a part of yourself for that?

I know it sounds like a lot of cash ... But you're spending more than that on Starbucks/dunken over 2 yrs...

16. Audley Yung Jun 24, 2015

I agree with most people here, thank you for knocking some sense into me. done and done! The Ball is going off Ebay and watchuseek!

17. Audley Yung Jun 24, 2015

and thank you for those who suggested selling the Ball as well. I understand you're just making sense of selling off a piece that won't be worn much. The Ball is..not ideal, but it's far from ugly or guady. I can make it work with my style.

If ANYTHING, i would sell the Seamaster instead if i really couldn't help myself now that I've gotten some of the members advice.Thank you all.

18. Aussie Jim Jun 24, 2015

It strikes me that the only rule on this forum is: Correct number of watches for any specific member = N+1 (where N is the number of watches that you currently own).

I can't imagine that the advice would ever be: Sell the watch

Paedipod likes this.
  19. gee_cee Jun 25, 2015

Sounds like the Ball is not really to your taste, so I would speak to her about it. You could involve her in the research & purchase of the Speedy and that way she still feels like the gesture has not been lost.

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 25, 2015

Noooooo that's the watch you wear every time you visit your Mother.

Mad Dog, Prange and timeismoney like this.