Forums Latest Members

X33 seconds hand frozen after battery change (gen 1)

1. slylock Mar 16, 2016

Hi all, I have a Gen 1 X-33 with an original 1666A (I believe), and after a recent battery change at a watchmaker, the seconds hand is completely frozen. Not the low-battery behavior, but frozen at :48 seconds. I opened it myself and tried a second battery from swatchbattery, and kept the battery out for an hour, but no change. Minute and hour hands are working perfectly, as is every other function, including alarm. Also tried the hands sync mode, and the seconds hand will not move that way either. I've searched for this symptom, and I think it is uncommon. Has anyone seen this, and/or maybe offer a reason for it?

2. Canuck Mar 16, 2016

Welcome,

These watches are basically two watches in one. One is a solid state digital, and the other is Quartz analog. Sounds to me like the problem is the analog has done what analogs do over time. They just plain stop! Could be a circuit problem, a coil problem, stepper motor problem, a mechanical problem, damage from an accident, dirt, rust, or problems with the hands. Or a cornucopia of other problems. It is simply not possible for us to diagnose the problem here. You need to find a shop who is competent on these, or send it to Omega.

3. tyrantlizardrex Mar 16, 2016

Having just had mine serviced by omega, they just switch out the whole movement... Yeah.

£380, but it then has a 24month warranty.

4. gmkelm Mar 16, 2016

Or... The tiny (emphasis on tiny) spring under the battery was lost during battery replacement. It's easy to lose.

Also be sure to check the voltage (3V) of the battery to make sure it is fresh as the X-33 is real sensitive to under voltage batteries. I've had issues with new Panasonic batteries being under voltage so now I only replace with Renata and make sure I check them with a meter before I button up the watch.

Mark