Forums Latest Members

X-33 Skywalker - Love it or Hate it?

1. Uscjake87 May 9, 2020

With my new job I will be using a timer very frequently, so the x-33 skywalker has some appeal to me. I don't enjoy digging into various apps in my phone to set a timer 20 times a day and I've already got a few g-shocks in case anybody suggests it. For those who have had the new model x-33 skywalker I am curious of your thoughts on the watch.

Are the menus cumbersome to navigate?

Anything else that you hate about it that made you trade yours in or sell it?

2. bama2141 May 9, 2020

I have both the X-33 Gen2 and the newer X-33 Skywalker Solar Impulse. Although the menu structures are different between the two models, each is fairly easy to navigate once you internalize the basic functions of the pushers. I mostly use the countdown timer and chronograph functions (well, of course, the time and date). There is an Omega supplied app for the iPad to let you try out the various features for yourself ("OMEGA Speedmaster Skywalker X-33 interactive manual").

The countdown timer with the alarm is great to use, and the alarm will definitely get your attention.

Initially, I was worried that the stated 45mm diameter would be too large for my wrist, but, surprisingly it's not. The bezel diameter is only 41.5mm. As best as I can guess, the 45mm measurement is across the crown guards to the fixed bolster at the 9 o'clock position. To my eye, the bezel diameter really sets the perceived size of the watch, so it wears much smaller than the 45mm would suggest.

Being titanium, both watches are very light

IMG_4090.jpg x33_20Apr.png

3. Uscjake87 May 9, 2020

Great pics. Titanium is certainly a surprise when you first try one on. I had a titanium Luminox watch and bracelet and didn't like how light weight it was. I may need to try one of these on at a dealer whenever things open back up. I tried to look up other watch brands with a similar automatic/digital setup and you mostly see g-shocks which are cool but kinda of the swiss army knives with way too many features.

4. duc May 9, 2020

I have multiple meetings throughout the week, including conference calls. For some I set the PETs to alarm when one gets close. In truth, I could easily manage without the X33, but why should I. After downloading and working with the I-pad app, using the G3 version is really easy.

tikkathree likes this.
  5. 10mmauto May 9, 2020

Titanium. Makes it my favorite watch. Close compass.JPG

Capcom, tikkathree, Barada7 and 3 others like this.
  6. Uscjake87 May 10, 2020

I like the blue/green but I think the original black is great. Anybody got more pics with different straps, ie: nato or deployant clasps?

7. duc May 10, 2020

Uscjake87 likes this.
  8. Percy May 10, 2020

Love it Omega Speedmaster X33 2017.jpg

dkr, duc, orlis and 1 other person like this.
  9. ClaudeR May 11, 2020

I love it! It replaced my trusty speedy as the daily beater, whenever I take it off I miss it right away!

As said before it wears a lot smaller than the size indicates (it is tall though, but nothing like a PO of the same size).

The titanium is very nice to wear, it is very light, and nice to the touch

The menus are easy enough to use and you get used to it quickly. If you get along with a G-Shock this will be no problem at all. The alarm is something to be experienced, it is loud (seriously, I can hear it in a noisy piston airplane and noisecancelled headphones).

The only thing about it is, this is not an elegant watch by any stretch of the imagination (it barely works with business shirts even when casual), it has a very tech vibe (which is fine but needs to be said).

In short, it is a really good watch (much better than in the pictures), my new favorite since the 6 months I have it!

duc and Uscjake87 like this.
  10. Uscjake87 May 11, 2020

Thanks for the feedback ClaudeR/others. I will have to try one on and give it a go.

11. Uscjake87 May 11, 2020

I read another good thread about battery changes. Has anybody changed the battery themselves? Seems simple enough to remove the screws and make sure to properly re-seat the gasket.

12. ClaudeR May 11, 2020

I haven’t done a battery change. From what I read, it seems simple enough, but you need to be careful with the titanium screws, and the gaskets

On the other hand it appears that Omega does a lot more than just change the battery, they do a full battery (pun very much intended) of tests, and replace worn bits.
    So at least every 2nd change I’d give it to Omega for service

13. McDaWisel May 19, 2020

It's a great watch. One of the best features on it is the top left button - it's a "favourite" button. While the menus are not difficult to navigate after getting used to them if you are in the wrong set of menus it can take 5 or 6 seconds to get back to the timer / chronograph feature. So the easiest is to set the favourite button to directly go to the function you need all the time.

I currently have the MET (mission elapsed time) set to countdown to July 20th, the day lockdown will hopefully fully end in Ireland :) and the favourite button will go there.

Before the lockdown, I used to travel all the time for work - if you're interested I made a tutorial to show how you can use it for air travel:

Also wrote a review early on, will probably update in a few months after a year of ownership, but so far it's all been positive:
    http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/2019/09/18/watch-review-the-omega-speedmaster-x-33-skywalker/

I set the time on the day I got the watch (29th August 2019) and it's 7 seconds fast today. So I think we're going for +10s/year :)

Quick note to @ClaudeR The screws are not Titanium (at least the 8 screws that hold the back cover on) - I have a terrible nickel allergy and checked that with Omega before buying the watch as I can't wear any stainless steel. They were actually very good about it and changed the standard steel screws to Titanium ones for me, but it was a special order watch. See the Scottish Watches review above to get the whole story.

Here some pictures:

E43A2BC5-888B-41B4-A0FE-224851DAD585.jpeg

A6FB530A-2858-490A-A384-FCF34A363605.jpeg

dkr, Dsloan, larryganz and 2 others like this.
  14. ClaudeR May 19, 2020

Hey, really nice to see you here and be able to thank you for your review and videos! They helped me quite a lot in making the decision to buy (there are not many good reviews from people who haave actually used a watch rather than just writing articles, and yours stood out among the few!)
    Thanks!

Sidreilley likes this.
  15. duc May 19, 2020

Been on a project that has kept me from getting into any kind of biking routine for the past two summers. That's over and I'm starting to get into the groove. Another good use for the X33:

20.jpg

16. Stripey May 24, 2020

I agree with your comment on the navigation. I don't wear my X-33 that often, but I find it quite intuitive. Compared to my Hamilton Flighttimer (similar concept), it's a breeze. For the Hamilton, I have to get the manual out every time I want to do anything.

17. Uscjake87 May 31, 2020

I ended up with a gen 1 x-33 for a great price. Its a great tool watch. The crown does require a hard press, but that is understandable to avoid constant menu triggers.

20200530_124934.jpg

tikkathree, Stripey and orlis like this.
  18. Barada7 May 31, 2020

Had the Skywalker and went back to the Gen.1/2.

Skywalker was more functional overall: better alarm options, crown improved, etc. But I much preferred the more reserved appearance of the Gen 1/2.

19. Stripey May 31, 2020

What are the better alarm options. I'm a Gen 1 owner, and would like to try the Skywalker at some point.

20. duc May 31, 2020

I am pretty sure they are both 85 dB. The G3 (as I call it) or Skywalker may be set with 3 alarms.