Forums Latest Members
  1. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 17, 2021

I am considering this,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224464668444?ViewItem=&item=224464668444Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

55968912 given as the id but I cannot find a listing to check? Also not clear on the pics included, anyone help please?
    No box, no paperwork = alarm bells but it is a wearer not an investment/collector grade I seek.
    I understand there are copies out there, how does this look to you owners?

Thanks for any comments and here is the best of the bad pictures.

E4C39AE1-43CC-4F0D-BAA3-121FF940DD77.jpeg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 17, 2021

Based on the photo I'd say its OK.
    I don't know of any fakes of these, can you point to your source?

p4ul likes this.
  3. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 17, 2021

4. kcgunner May 17, 2021

I think faking this model would be not cost effective. I’m sure there are fakes but I’ve never seen any.

p4ul likes this.
  5. SoyuzPilot May 17, 2021

I have a few of these and have personally not seen any fakes in the market yet. This looks authentic to me. The movement would be uneconomical to try to copy accurately, so you could ask for a video of the watch running through the menu options. However, the photos show the different modes pretty well and that is all accurate. So I think the watch is fine.

In general the photos on the listing are not that good - I wouldn't be comfortable buying this without better photos so I can really see the condition of the bezel and glass. I'm pretty sure this is a "back to Omega" for a service, I may be wrong though so you could check with the well known Omega service guys mentioned on this forum. But, if the glass has a scratch that is annoying the service may be pricey.

It does not have the Kevlar strap that these can come with though, just a third-party rubber strap. One of the great things for me with both the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen is the titanium bracelet - it's super light weight and very comfortable. The Kevlar strap is okay - it's personal preference - but having one or the other that was original to the watch would be better when the times comes to pass it on.

Having said all that, you can buy both straps so at the price it is now on ebay, it looks a great buy and you'd have some cash for a service.

Foo2rama, Stripey and p4ul like this.
  6. Bugbait May 17, 2021

I'm not aware of any copies either and I own the G2. If the price is right (low enough) then it may be worth getting. Without the original titanium bracelet it would be worth a lot less, to me anyway. The bracelets were something like USD800+ back when these were first released so guessing they're more expensive now.

Note that the G1 and G2 were notorious for having very soft/fragile AR coatings. My AR fell apart pretty quickly but I was using it as a do anything in tool, almost beater watch. As long as the crystal is unmarked then it's fine.

Stripey likes this.
  7. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 17, 2021

@JimInOz @kcgunner @SoyuzPilot @Bugbait

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated!
    Might give it a day and then make an offer taking into account service/strap/bracelet if nothing has changed, I am in no rush.

8. Stripey May 23, 2021

I second every word of this.