Forums Latest Members

WW2 RAF F.W. Elliott Mess clock

1. river rat Oct 12, 2017

I just got this on Ebay a WW2 RAF Mess clock made by F.W. Elliott with Fusse 8 day movement made in 1939. Been wanting one for a while will go well wit my RAF watch collection. Now the wait for delivery from the UK to the states. These were in the Officers Mess on RAF Bases in WW2 really a cool looking clock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vitezi Oct 12, 2017

That is cool. Want to see it surrounded by your RAF watch collection!

3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 15, 2017

Hi @river rat

Very nice mantel clock !

This is my wife's kitchen clock....

IMG_6721.JPG

She told me to find a nice simple clock , nothing military or else.....

She loved it for YEARS......

Then I 97 I took an overseas assignment traveling throughout Europe and based in Paris. My wife was back in the states at this time and she came to visit for 10 days during August ... ( slow for everything in Europe). I had some business to deal with in London... So we took a day did some tours.... We wound up on a Tour of Churchill's War Bunker in London...

I normally do not follow the tour guide as I like to read all the signs... etc about history of display etc.... All of a sudden I hear my wife say " I have same clock in my kitchen , that is above Churchill's desk ..." then the tour guide " no mum, you must be mistaken , This is a high grade RAF timekeeper with a 8 day Elliot Fusse movement .... " ... I then come over take a look , and go " Yes she is correct we have the same clock ." I then get a slap to the head !! Saying " I told you no military clocks ! "

SO I got busted years later there are no statue of limitations ...

Great Clock @river rat !!

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

Waltesefalcon, MRC, DaveK and 12 others like this.
  4. river rat Oct 15, 2017

Bill nice clock also they have two things in common same movement and RAF issued. Dam you bamboozled your wife good about it not being military.

5. river rat Oct 17, 2017

I was told this clock was once owned by Brian Burnett Air Chief Marshal in the RAF and he gave it as a gift in the 1970's so some cool history along with the clock.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Burnett
    And a cool blog on some one who collect RAF clocks and other RAF station equipment I like this blog he does have a nice RAF clock collection.
    https://airministrybybuttons.com/

6. Waltesefalcon Oct 17, 2017

Great clock River Rat I like the simple utilitarian mantle case.

7. river rat Oct 20, 2017

Well this clock made it in one piece from England to Montana USA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From the 1939 manufacture date it started it's life right from the beginning of WW2 just imagine the history when this clock was used. I can see a RAF Pilot looking at the time on this clock and running to his aircraft for a mission.

Waltesefalcon, JimInOz and jimmyd13 like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 21, 2017

Probably the other way around I think, this clock lived in the Mess.

I don't know if they had clocks in the flight line hut, but all they needed was a telephone call.

So it was more likely that the guys got home, went to the Mess to unwind and have a beer, and maybe at nine o'clock, simply raised a glass to their mates who didn't come home.

neilfrancis likes this.
  9. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2017

Hi river rat

Great clock . I am currently getting mine back to running ..... I got my clock the other day . Seller said it's not running but is complete . He also said there was as bag of little parts , wood screws and a three legged spring ! See photo
    IMG_6743.JPG

The seller did not mention the hands just spin around the center pinion ! The "spring" above I think is called a dial , or hand spring/washer...

To install that spring I have to remove hands , dial, two bridges and two wheels ....

IMG_6770.JPG IMG_6771.JPG IMG_6781.JPG IMG_6782.JPG
    You can see marks where the spring was ... IMG_6783.JPG

Then I placed spring on center pinion IMG_6784.JPG

Back of the dial
    IMG_6785.JPG

I also took pics of different views of the movement before I began .. here the are

IMG_6772.JPG IMG_6773.JPG IMG_6774.JPG IMG_6775.JPG IMG_6776.JPG IMG_6777.JPG IMG_6778.JPG IMG_6779.JPG IMG_6780.JPG

I then placed it back in the case ...
    IMG_6788.JPG

But to get it running I had to shim the right side with a padded envelope . So I let it run over night and lost 5 mins in 12 hours . But the bigger issue is the case while in transit took a lot of bumps and the screws holding the movement worked themselves out and enlongaged the holes! Augh between thst and crunch needed to be adjusted ... I expoxied some bamboo dowels aka chop sticks into the holes and will carve it down and then reassemble maybe today ...
    IMG_6786.JPG IMG_6787.JPG

Here is how I left the clock and case last night running in beat on some cigar boxes ...
    IMG_6799.JPG IMG_6800.JPG

Will let you know how it ends up !

Good hunting

Bill Sohne

Edited Nov 18, 2017
  10. river rat Oct 21, 2017

Hi Bill
    Great job getting that clock going. I was also looking at that clock but that seller I felt hid a lot of what had to be done to get that going when I emailed him. And I am not as mechanically good like you to getting it going. And I had a bad feeling about that seller it sucks he did not know how to pack it. If I was more qualified to work on my own clocks I mite of went for that same clock due to the early date and that cool RAF early dial and the early ones also had the issue marks also in the wooden case a really cool looking clock than the later ones like mine. And congrats. On mine I also had one little problem on the Pendulum a small hole were the suspension spring connects the tapered pin that goes through that hole to hold the two together was missing got a piece of wire in there now. And it lost maybe 20 seconds since last night will adjust the adjusting nut on the pendulum and get better timing. Will order a package of clock tapered pins today and fix that pendulum.

Edited Oct 21, 2017
  11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2017

Hi @river rat

Just went to the office to check it since last night !

Last night photo
    IMG_6800.JPG

And today

IMG_6801.JPG

Still with in a min of the clock behind it !

Now to trim the chip sticks and remount it in the case !

Good hunting

Bill

12. jumpingsecond Oct 21, 2017

If ever a post of the year award on OF I nominate this one!

13. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2017

Hi guys

Ok just had some help from my friend who is a woodworker ...

He cut and chiseled the bamboo flush !

IMG_6803.JPG

Now I have to bring it back to my office to remount the movement !

Bill

14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2017

Hi guys

Ok here we go ...

Chop stick plugs planed down to surface .

IMG_6804.JPG IMG_6805.JPG

Now how the heck do I remount it ...

You missed the part where I inserted the movement and used another chop stick to hold the back plate level !!!

Should have taken a pic of that !

I aligned it best I can then put the clock on it side to retap and screw in the screw.( yea I know I should predrill ! ) next time

IMG_6806.JPG IMG_6807.JPG IMG_6808.JPG IMG_6809.JPG IMG_6810.JPG

Not perfect but close enough for government work !! Hahahaha
    IMG_6811.JPG IMG_6812.JPG
    Now I have to time it for real ..... and make adjustments .. that is the boring stuff ....
    Not sure if I should take it home today .....
    Good hunting

Bill

river rat likes this.
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 21, 2017

Tony C. likes this.
  16. river rat Oct 22, 2017

Bill that clock looks great put back together.

Bill Sohne likes this.
  17. river rat Jan 31, 2022

Well Bill look at this one I am in the middle of a deal getting soon as the seller figures the shipping rate on it. They all seem to lose dial paint in the same four spots on these even yours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bill Sohne and Erik_H like this.
  18. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 1, 2022

hello RR

GREAT CLOCK!

I am having some issues with mine. Stops after about a day and gave to wind It up again and stops again after about the same time.

gota take it out of the case and check it out .

let me know when it arrives !
    Best
    Bill

19. river rat Feb 1, 2022

Here is another photo from the seller. Hopefully I get it next week. I guess on the ones made in 1942 the brass bezel ring was blackened out and even the wooden case from what another collector told me. Would like to see one in an untouched state to see how they looked in WW2.
    [​IMG]