Forums Latest Members

WW1 era Chelsea US Navy No.3 Deck Clock

1. river rat Sep 8, 2023

Just got this delivered to me today a WW1 era Chelsea US Navy No3 Deck Clock. got it for a fair price due to it does need a service and a new mainspring. Was thinking of sending it to Chelsea but I sort of like the aged brass case would be 1000 bucks for a service, case refinish and resilver the dial and paint the hands. Or have a local guy service it for less only have the movement serviced. Does got a cool look as is like a pair of old aged Levi jeans. The movement never look like a screwdriver ever touched the screws might have never been serviced before. And the case and movement serial numbers match a plus they get switched around sometimes when the Navy had the movement serviced. This clock was made around 1916.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Sep 8, 2023
    DaveK, Waltesefalcon, Alpha and 8 others like this.
  2. river rat Sep 8, 2023

The case before it was really dirty before I cleaned the case a little.
    [​IMG]

Edited Sep 8, 2023
  3. river rat Sep 8, 2023

The US Navy always have to know the time.
    [​IMG]

Vitezi, bubba48, rbob99 and 2 others like this.
  4. river rat Sep 9, 2023

Another thing I notice the hands are blued not painted. Something I think Chelsea did not do in later deck clocks like during WW2.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  5. rbob99 Sep 10, 2023

Congratulations. That is a very nice clock. :thumbsup:

6. river rat Oct 11, 2023

Well got it back from being serviced and mounted to a wooden plaque and now on the wall in mt house.
    [​IMG]

7. river rat Oct 11, 2023

Still can't believe the condition of the dial from a clock from 1916.

Vitezi likes this.
  8. river rat Oct 11, 2023

Just bought this online. Will put it on the wooded plaque under the clock a cool touch. Would have liked to find a Pilot House one but Wheelhouse about the same. Spent a lot of my active-duty time in the wheel house on watch. we had a lot of names for this the Bridge, Pilot House or Wheel House.
    [​IMG]

9. High Hope Oct 11, 2023

The clock, mount, and brass plaque will look fantastic. Let us see final product!

10. river rat Oct 11, 2023

The Plaque I got off flea bay might be a while coming from India where they scrap a lot of ships why they have so much of this stuff. But will post photo's when the project completed.

11. river rat Oct 11, 2023

Here is one I wish was mine but it's in a Navy Museum. But the US Navy Observatory serial numbers are close mine seems older but in better shape. Wonder since the numbers are so close, they came from the same ship.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.history.navy.mil/content/history/nhhc/our-collections/artifacts/Navigation/chronometers/chronometer-uss-new-york--bb-34-.html#:~:text=One ship's clock for the USS NEW YORK,dial. The clock face reads: "CHELSEA CLOCK CO.
    Link to the Navy Museum. Definitely not a chronometer I guess we could teach the museum a little. Just glad someone saved the clock before the ship was used for target practice with a nuke.

Edited Oct 11, 2023
  12. river rat Oct 11, 2023

Here is a British Navy issued clock where I did the same thing with a brass plaque on the wooden plaque. Looked cool there so thought it would look great on this one.
    [​IMG]

Waltesefalcon and High Hope like this.
  13. river rat Nov 1, 2023

Got the brass plaque and put it on the wooden plaque adds character to the clock.
    [​IMG]

Alpha, Retsamaes and Waltesefalcon like this.
  14. river rat Nov 18, 2023

Found a interesting fact on this clock. In a new book I got on Chelsea clocks the first batch of deck clock no 3 was serial numbers 14554-14705 sent to the US Navy my serial number is 14572B so mine was the 18 one of these models sold to the US Navy kind of a low serial number in a way. There were 3 batches of this type of clock sold to the US Navy with 2 dial types.
    [​IMG]

Edited Nov 19, 2023
  15. river rat Mar 4, 2024

I got the certificate of orgin from Chelsea. The clock was shipped December 26, 1916.Think Chelsea use left over parts from Boston clock co. So, you can't trust the serial numbers on the serial numbers ending with a B. I see some sellers on eBay saying the clocks are older than they are. Most were made later like mine. Still 1916 the oldest Chelsea in my collection.

16. Waltesefalcon Mar 4, 2024

It was shipped on my birthday.