Forums Latest Members

WTB a few cheap mechanical pocket watches

1. devnull Oct 14, 2015

I'm looking to learn my way around mechanical watches. If somebody here has one or more cheap pocket watches they would be willing to par with please let me know. A mechanical wristwatch with a large simple mechanism would do as well.

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 14, 2015

I think you'd be better off getting something where parts are still available as you are sure to lose/graunch some parts.

Parts for old PWs can be hard to find.

Either go the Seiko 7S26A route, or one of the Chinese Seagulls.

3. devnull Oct 14, 2015

At first I'm aiming for a large mechanical movement to take apart and put back together over and over again. Once i get the familiarity, manual dexterity, and work flow down, I plan on doing the same with a smaller wrist watch mechanism.

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 14, 2015

Soviet. Plenty on eBay.

Tom

5. TNTwatch Oct 14, 2015

Some essential tools for PW are not the same for wrist watches. Do you intend to collect tools?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 14, 2015

There is a reason many horology schools use the ETA 6497 for students to learn on. I would suggest that you find one of these, or an Asian clone of this movement to start with. The ETA version will have parts readily available for it, and the Asian versions are cheap enough you could buy a few for spare parts.

Start with just a movement first, then move to dials, hands, and casing. If the movement survives, case, dial, and hand options are plentiful for these movements so you can carry on and make work wearable watch out of it if you like.

I certainly don't recommend using any automatic to start with, and US made pocket watches are different enough that they are not a good choice if you plan to eventually work on Swiss wrist watches.

Cheers, Al

rogart likes this.
  7. rogart ray it again, Ram. Oct 14, 2015

I love Unitas 6325 movements .They are really simple to service .Plenty of parts . You can find a nice watch with an Unitas 6325 on Ebay .

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2015

I have a DOXA military GTSP - Not working. Im sure a service is all it needs and the crown fixing.

PM me if interested.