Forums Latest Members

WSRUW: What Seiko Are You Wearing Today?

1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 20, 2018

i only used that tone because i was attacked by somebody using racist insults.

i should not have to defend myself or refrain from saying something after being called "boy"

my points that i made in here were about seikos brand perception.

2. Dan S Sep 20, 2018

One might think that a thread intended to celebrate and enjoy a brand would not really be the most appropriate place to disparage it, and then engage in lengthy arguments and rants that monopolize the thread and detract from others' enjoyment.

I recently acquired my first Seiko, a vintage piece (like all of my watches) - their first dive watch, a "62mas" from 1967. I just couldn't resist the condition of this example. Although Seiko is apparently just a crappy brand that Muricans don't appreciate, after a bit of research, my impression is that these have become pretty collectible and I've really been enjoying it.

seiko1.jpg seiko2.jpg seiko3.jpg

YYTIN, Ray916MN, Nathan1967 and 14 others like this.
  3. sxl2004 Sep 20, 2018

Don’t feed the troll.
    :rolleyes:

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 20, 2018

Your tone started way before that.

Maybe if you make one constructive post you might find you get good results.

sxl2004 and Mtek like this.
  5. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 20, 2018

incorrect. you just have an axe to grind

6. Sweli Sep 20, 2018

[QUOTE="Dan S, post: 1059764, Although Seiko is apparently just a crappy brand that Muricans don't appreciate.....

Hey, this 'Murican appreciates them for what they ARE and not what they pretend to be...

DWash and Dan S like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 20, 2018

exactly, yet another negative post...

I have zero reason to have an axe to grind with you.

8. Fialetti Sep 20, 2018

I don't want to add to the slanging match, but I do want to add something as this thread did touch on some interesting points. Let's please not get to the point where the mods may have to lock the thread. Nobody benefits from that.

I think Seiko in Japan traditionally followed a life-cycle marketing model, where the idea was to establish customer loyalty with people when they were young, then keep upgrading them up the brand ladder as they (hopefully) grew wealthier over time. In that context, having wide distribution and all your sub-brands closely tied to the Seiko name was an asset. It certainly wasn't an approach invented in Japan, but it has lasted longer there. Having limited competition in their domestic market probably helped. But it hasn't translated well into the era of luxury watches as pure Veblen goods. Amazingly, Seiko didn't even have a high-end boutique in Ginza until about three years ago, even though the Hattori clock tower is THE symbol of Tokyo's most exclusive retail district.

I'm sympathetic. The fact that I don't like Veblen goods is one of the reasons I like Seiko. But I doubt it's a source of satisfaction to Seiko management, who have seen the booming Chinese market on their doorstep captured almost entirely by Swiss luxury brands over the past few decades, and have to sell Grand Seikos at way below the price of technically comparable Rolexes. The fact that they have hived off Grand Seiko as a more distinct unit and are setting up a few boutiques on the Swiss model suggests they are trying to adopt it. Tentatively though; where I live in East Asia Grand Seiko is still being marketed as the top a pyramid that starts with Seiko 5 and works upwards.

I can't blame the company for trying to increase profits, but personally will be sorry if they end up as a Rolex or Omega clone. It's a more interesting brand for doing things its own way than it would be as Rolex East.

Skrv, Lbreak, isaac.owen.nz and 3 others like this.
  9. maanu Sep 20, 2018

Me too. My favorite GS.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 20, 2018

2F23C28D-FB77-44E7-89CA-6F792641174A.jpeg
    I’ll add a “Seiko” it still counts right?

11. Sweli Sep 20, 2018

I'm an economist, and the fact that you have recognized Thortstein Veblen has warmed the cockles of my heart. I spent my much of my undergraduate years trying to read and understand the man.

12. Fialetti Sep 20, 2018

My grasp of economic theory is pretty rudimentary, but any interesting secondary readings on Veblen would be much appreciated.

AveConscientia likes this.
  13. Sweli Sep 21, 2018

The primary reading is "theory of the leisure class ". This is the Veblen Magnum Opus--responsible for the theory of Conspicuous Consumption and Conspicuous Leisure. These are the grail to marketers, but we economists have claim. Veblen was a superior intellect, and he relished in the fact--not afraid to show you how superior he was. His reading is difficult. If you manage to make it through even the first chapter of Theory of the Leisure Class,you might check out his second book The Theory of Business Enterprise, but I'd say all you need to know about Veblen,really, is in his first book. He was considered boorish, and even his greatest work didn't keep him from getting fired from the University of Chicago. My best advice would be just look him up on wikipedia or some such, and save yourself the torture of trying to read and interpret Veblen. I wish I had this technology when I was a student--we actually did statistical regressions by hand, and read these old books on microfiche in a place we called "the library". Best Wishes.

14. Fialetti Sep 21, 2018

I have some vague recollection of those.

Pun likes this.
  15. sdre Sep 21, 2018

1AF68886-677B-48FF-AB29-0DBE637DA39A.jpeg Added these two recently.

6B172226-6842-4260-B1B9-E267FCE91D3E.jpeg

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 21, 2018

sdre likes this.
  17. sdre Sep 21, 2018

Thanks! Been on a Seiko binge for a bit.

Still find them value for money for what they are.

Which part of the speed timer are you referring to?

Yeah the panda is pretty nice, all original, linen dial and unpolished! Apparently the bracelet is original too! (Not shown)

noelekal and Foo2rama like this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 21, 2018

Horizontal case brushing. Looks great not sure if I’ve seen it before anywhere. Either I’d love to have that piece.

cande and sdre like this.
  19. time flies Sep 21, 2018

The waitress at the place I sometimes eat breakfast calls me honey. I don't mind. I have yet to call her sweetie.

have fun
    kfw

Pun and noelekal like this.
  20. bigsom Sep 21, 2018

How about something a bit dainty? This is my sister's neovintage Credor with two tone dial cased in platinum with blue steeled hands.

Also there's clear trolling in the thread just ignore.

IMG_20180918_061555_475.jpg