WRUCarrying? Pocket Watch Friday ☼

Posts
15,931
Likes
47,835
Getting primed for our annual railroad watch (railroad standard clocks, watches, wrist & pocket) display at Heritage Park Railroad Days. That, and tomorrow is Friday. Naturally, I’m fixated on railroad timepieces, so along with my Accutron Railroader, tomorrow I’ll wear my 1892 model Waltham, 18-size Canadian Pacific Railway pocket watch. “Canadian” 24-hour dial. This has been a grail watch for me for decades, but typical prices for these were a deterrent. Until this one landed in my lap at a price I was comfortable with 😁!

 
Posts
4,341
Likes
12,760
Getting primed for our annual railroad watch (railroad standard clocks, watches, wrist & pocket) display at Heritage Park Railroad Days. That, and tomorrow is Friday. Naturally, I’m fixated on railroad timepieces, so along with my Accutron Railroader, tomorrow I’ll wear my 1892 model Waltham, 18-size Canadian Pacific Railway pocket watch. “Canadian” 24-hour dial. This has been a grail watch for me for decades, but typical prices for these were a deterrent. Until this one landed in my lap at a price I was comfortable with 😁!

It's a terrific watch. I'm of the opinion that the 1892 is the handsomest watch Waltham ever made, the CPR crest is always an outstanding addition to a mov't, and the Canadian dial is just frosting on the cake.
 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,835
Waltham also did the CPR watch in an 1888 model, an 1899 model, as well as the 1908. It is a dream to have one of each! Dream on, but maybe I can luck out again! The previous owner had shopped mine around to be denied an offer as (he was told) there was “no market” for the watch. I told him I’d seen them for sale for a lot more than I offered, but he saw an advantage in seeing it go to a local collector. I’ve never paid more for a pocket watch than I did for this one!
 
Posts
4,341
Likes
12,760
I'm not wearing a grail watch today, but it's a pretty nice watch that ticks all the boxes for me, and I should wear it more often. A Hamilton 944; circa 1908; 19j; RR standard; Montgomery dial; in a nice, simple, triple hinged, 4 oz Dueber coin silver case.
 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,835
I 💕 my Hamilton 944! I particularly like the jewelled motor barrel with the barrel arbor jewel that decorates the barrel bridge. Mine is a private label for D R Dingwall Ltd. Of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Winnipeg was (is?) a major hub for railroads early in the 20th century. Dingwall was a railroad watch inspector, and there were 22 watchmakers employed about the time mine was produced. I bought mine at an NAWCC mart in Portland, Ore., about 40 years ago. Because of the dial information, hundreds of other collectors passed it up. It took a Canadian collector to twig as to what it was. I bought a private label Hamilton 940 from the same dealer. Seems U S collectors weren’t hot after Canadian private label watches, that day.

 
Posts
4,341
Likes
12,760
There is just something about the way a jeweled motor barrel looks that makes a movement look extra classy.

I've always kinda thought of the 944 as the little brother to the 946.
 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,835
Luv it! I too have a 944, a private label for D R Dingwall, Winnipeg, Manitoba. He had 22 watchmakers on staff. Railroad watch inspector, retail jeweller, sold out to Henry Birks & Sons about 100 years ago.

I didn’t wear a pocket watch, today. Getting ready for Railway Days at our Heritage Park, Saturday and Sunday. Tonite, starting about 8:00 o’clock, I will begin to wind and set about 120 pocket watches, so final set up Saturday at the park will be easy peasy. This process will take until about 11:00 PM. So, tomorrow morning at about 6:45, on the way to an early breakfast, I’ll be carrying these 120 pocket watches, and 20 railroad wrist watches. Plus one Seth Thomas World wall clock. (And several hundred pounds of books, and other impedimenta. I should retire, the thought of the next 48 hours and what will be entailed, has me tired already,
 
Posts
4,341
Likes
12,760
I'll be at the MKOA regional NAWCC Convention tomorrow. Maybe I'll come home with a new watch, maybe I'll come home a watch or two lighter. Who knows?
 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,835
A project for me for the evening. We’re preparing for our railroad pocket and wrist watch display at our local Heritage Park Saturday and Sunday. Pictured are all Illinois and Waltham pocket watches, wound and set, all 20 of them. About 100 more to go.

 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,835
And here are another 20, from Ball, to Dueber, to Elgin, to Hamilton. One Elgin wouldn’t start for me. Not my watch, not my problem. All wound and set. Those who are quite astute may notice these are not all railroad standard, but they are pocket watches.

 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,835
And here we have another 40, all wound and set, and ready for our two day exhibit. This lot all Hamilton except for 3 Illinois watches, front row, right side. Another 40 or so to go, if the fingers hold out.

 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,835
All done! About 120 pocket watches ranging in age from circa 1865 to circa 1965, all wound and set. Fun week end ahead. And not one mainspring broke, surprise, surprise! Only one that wouldn’t run for me. Perhaps to be attended to before the next show in April, 2027. But for now, bed time. More pictures on Saturday (10:20 pm Mountain Daylight time here in Canada.) I know it is already Saturday in Eastern Canada, and for the rest of the world.