Forums Latest Members

Wrong Hands? Zenith Defy Automatic Sub Sea

1. Alpenschneerot Sep 1, 2013

Hi MMMD and friends,
    I need help.
    Yesterday I have purchased a Zenith Defy Automatic Sub Sea Ref. 01-0450-456(see pic). The watch came from the late seventies and is in mint condition.
    At home I looked in the net for that reference. I found out that the watch has originally broad lumed hands ,that match to the round lumed hour indexes.
    I also think, that the hands of my watch are original Zenith, but not for this reference. What do you think?
    Regards, Reiner IMG_1829[1].JPG IMG_1828[1].JPG

IMG_1832[1].JPG
  2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 21, 2013

Sorry Reiner... somehow I missed this post. Sharp looking watch. I agree the hands are probably not correct, but they look pretty good and the length is perfect. It wouldn't surprise me if they were Zenith service replacements, or even if this is an all-original factory Franken... Zenith produced a lot of diver variants in that era. You probably found this thread in your search:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/vintage-zenith-defy-sub-sea-diver-284573.html?desktopmode=1

3. Alpenschneerot Sep 21, 2013

Hi MMMD,
    thanks for your (late) answer.
    The watch was NOS(case, dial, movement) but the hands made me thoughtfully.
    I looked in the net for this special reference and I always found those broad lumed hands.I looked in our Zenith book and found the small hands in another Zenith watch of that time!
    So I gave the watch back two days later and purchased this wonderful Universal with copper-colured dial in pink gold:( :)
    Reiner IMG_1838[1].JPG

MMMD likes this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 21, 2013

good choice, Reiner. I don't know anything about the hands on the sub, although I'd say they are certainly not diver hands, but I do prefer the linen-dial UG in any case.

5. CdnWatchDoc Sep 22, 2013

That UG is gorgeous Reiner! And the linen dial, copper hands and warm brown leather strap match perfectly. Very nice pickup-Congrats!

6. m neuman What, me worry? Jan 3, 2014

I have two examples of this watch with both types of hands. Both are in pristine/NOS condition. Can not tell whether one is right and one is wrong! It was a time especially with their dive watches that various hand combinations were used, I believe in an ad hock method.