Forums Latest Members

Wouldn't it be cool if Omega re-released exact reproductions of all their trilogy watches?

1. ninman Dec 2, 2022

By exact reproductions, I mean exact. Same movements, same cases, same materials, everything, of all 3 trilogy watches that were released in 1957.

Do you think that would be cool?

I think it would be personally. What do you think?

sheepdoll likes this.
  2. UWG Dec 2, 2022

No. It wouldn't.

3. M'Bob Dec 2, 2022

I had a similar conversation with a guy who did a lot of the frame design and materials research at Raleigh Cycles in England, the legendary Gerald O’Donovan.

I Mentioned something similar, about resurrecting an older frame material. He shut me down immediately, saying, “Then what was the point of all the subsequent work an development in newer materials?”

The point? It really makes more sense to preserve what’s really good, but upgrade with newer materials the things that, at the time, turned out in retrospect not to be so fantastic.

4. snunez Dec 2, 2022

I agree here. I'd love an exact look-alike, but updated with as much modern tech as possible.

5. flw history nerd Dec 2, 2022

Which is exactly what Omega did in 2017.
    20221202_093753.jpg

And thus we come full circle ...

6. Kraal90 Dec 2, 2022

It would be even cooler if they could accurately re-produce the needy lugs with correct case dimensions from the 50s instead of the heritage model they did a while back. Where the case was huge in comparison.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 2, 2022

Log onto a computer with Windows 1 and read this back to yourself….;)

8. befobe Dec 2, 2022

No, not with radium please...:taunt:

9. JayBe Dec 2, 2022

Would be cool for those who missed out, but less cool for anyone having bought them recently.
    Re-releasing a model again without changes would screw with almost all values and desirability of past models, that sell over msrp.
    So I much prefer to keep the rules of the game the way they are established.

10. gbesq Dec 2, 2022

There is certainly something to be said for heritage models with modern technology, but in my view they will never have the cache and the collectible value of the originals. I don’t have any of the original trilogy models (I wish!), but I do have an original and nearly mint 1958 Ranchero a/k/a “The Fourth Musketeer” in my collection and it is arguably the rarest of the four. Could a modern heritage piece ever take its place in my mind? Absolutely no way.
    8D2B5DD4-C683-4DF2-9D47-159C357F056A.jpeg

DIV, Dsloan, Duracuir1 and 5 others like this.
  11. Annapolis Dec 2, 2022

Nobody cares what I think, but fwiw I’d say that all the heritage models and fauxtina watches—while beautiful, in many cases—diminish the brand. They just seem hokey to me. This is one respect in which I prefer the business model of that other brand.

Lug, cristos71, MTROIS and 1 other person like this.
  12. OmegaOwner2019 Dec 2, 2022

It would not make any economic sense.

The demand for exact replica is small. All the production facilities and some of the designs are probably all gone. They need to invest a lot like they did for the Ed White.

People would pay 20K for an Ed White 321 because of the story. Would you pay 20K a pop for each of the trilogy watches?

Indices likes this.
  13. sheepdoll Dec 2, 2022

I see where the computer history musuem released the source code to the 1984 version of postscript. (Some of the 1984 erea mac code had already been released.) This code contained 'Trade secrets.' Which of course in the last 40 years been superseded. I vastly prefer the open source Ghostscript (which I introduced to Apple as a way to get around Adobe royalties.)

Still I do keep older computers around to run older programs. There are also programs for emulating the older software in virtual machines such as sheepsaver for old macs. Same goes for windows and I suspect Windows 1. Most of this is to run game programs, where the player experience relates to the quirks of the timing of the old systems.

I have a project where I am reviving an old Kodak film scanner. My cell phone does just as good of job. Could say the same for pipe organ projects. I have electronics and programs which are only a decade or so out of date that runs a now century old machine. On the other hand I know better ways to do things now, and have access to information I did not have 10 years ago. This week we were cleaning up for a concert, there were two boxes of obsolete outdated hardware.

Such projects are fun (almost vanity projects.) I suspect the same could be said of the watches as well. With watches, these were also stamped out in high numbers, so there is not really all that need to re-do an older model. If one really wants that model, they can get one for a price. The numbers are simply too low to really make a go of it.

The watch industry also has a weakness in that it is easy to overproduce product. The processes lend themselves to small scale automation and have done so for centuries.

Better is a way to do bespoke products, or limited run series, which speak to the collectors. There will always be those who collect used bottle caps or rusty nails. Where volume becomes more important than quality.

I am in the minority, that I would like to see more of the simple eligant retro designs re-visted. Would like them to be retro priced too, but that goes against what it takes to be successful in this world.

noelekal likes this.
  14. Donn Chambers Dec 2, 2022

You know what would be really cool. If they made watches with the original case, dial, handset, and movement, then sold them for the original price.

;)

Dsloan, flw, YY77 and 3 others like this.
  15. TimeODanaos Dec 2, 2022

Search "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote" by Jorge Luis Borges. ::book::::confused2::

Tuna Cowboy likes this.
  16. TMas Dec 3, 2022

The Ed White is the ultimate Speedmaster in my book. I find it worth the price tag. It’s incredible. They truly nailed it.
    Note, I wouldn’t complain if it were cheaper though.

Caesar95 likes this.
  17. 140dave Dec 3, 2022

Ask owners of vintage JB Champion/Forstner bracelets how much they like “exact” modern versions of (formerly) valuable vintage…

Aludic likes this.
  18. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 3, 2022

I have both the old JB and the new. The new is a touch more robust. I actually like the look a little better.

sonicosa likes this.
  19. rudagger Dec 3, 2022

It's funny. Earlier in the day, before seeing your post, I was thinking of a cycling article I saw a while back that you could buy a steel Raleigh bike.

The point I guess would be nostalgia,more than performance.

https://www.pelotonmagazine.com/gear/tech-redux-raleigh-international/

M'Bob likes this.
  20. bananapeanut Dec 3, 2022

I'm not sure the analogy between watches and bikes works all that well.

Modern bikes offer better performance but their frames have a limited lifespan. The steel frames of vintage bikes can last forever. The only downside is weight.

When it comes to watches. I'm pretty sure a modern Omega is just as durable as a vintage one.