Forums Latest Members

Would you ever buy a "missing" serial number Omega?

1. ricky3334 Mar 9, 2016

Hi all , i have been looking for an Omega 176.002 Mark III for few months..i found one grey dial (not so attractive ) , a nice one but no matching hands and "frankie" bracelet ,moreover quite expensive .
    Then i have found a nice one , need a service and case to be refined ,but really nice dial and correct hands ,but service replacement rotor , so no movement seria number engraved on , just a code Rxxxx
    I m deephly uncertain , always say to myself that purchasing vintage watches (often expensive) the dial worth more than half of the value , but at the same time i wouldn t buy it and let my thoght drop to the missing number whenever i look at it .
    Would you ever buy it or ...have you ever ?
    thanks for your advices and ..comprehension !

2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 9, 2016

I have one with a service replacement rotor... It's not bothered me yet! ;)

If the records were updated correctly (no guarantees) then an extract of the archive, in theory, should tell you the original serial - as long as whoever changed the rotor did what they were meant to, and updated records with Onega... If you're lucky, it was done by omega themselves.

3. ricky3334 Mar 9, 2016

Hi , so you mean that whoever changed the rotor could have transmit the original serial number to get the new replacement one...
    and if they did , must be somewhere a corrispondence between original and service part ?..so the serial could be found giving the present code engraved ?
    Sorry but do not want misunderstand cause my english sometimes lacks...::book::
    Thanks so much...it s a lovely piece and much more wearable than it looks...

4. tyrantlizardrex Mar 9, 2016

That's correct. In theory.

This assumes that the paperwork was kept up to date, that it was someone "authorised" that changed the rotor, etc.

5. ricky3334 Mar 9, 2016

Uhmm intresting .. Never heard before .I haven ' t been soo lucky but once again my thought changed
    Will keep informed . Thanks!!

6. tyrantlizardrex Mar 9, 2016

Again, this is how the theory goes... Reality is often different. ;)

7. lillatroll Mar 9, 2016

If I were you I would wait until you find one you are completely happy with. It's not like they are rare. It is better to be completely happy than accept something just because you want that particular model, unless of course, it is as rare as hens teeth. My general feeling is that, putting on a watch in the morning should bring a smile to my face because I love it, anything less and it's not worth owning.

chronos and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  8. ricky3334 Mar 9, 2016

I fully agree and more any collector's wish list is so huge that would be easy to find whatever else drives us happy .But at the same time wonder if i need to be more flexible towards such matters ..

9. lillatroll Mar 9, 2016

Another option is to buy it and use it until you find a better one. I doubt you would loose any money on it if you did sell it on. This gives you the option of finding out if you want to keep it or not.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  10. ricky3334 Mar 9, 2016

Basically i had the same idea but would any better piece come up suddenly i suppose will get time to sell , and as i said it needS a service ..uhm:confused:
    Sometime tell to my self "it s time to sell your oldiest and get a new , nice , shining Rolex" !