Forums Latest Members

Would you consider purchasing ?

1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 17, 2020

2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 17, 2020

If one can see the 16 circles in this image (on a phone screen) ...

A3176BB5-9A7A-4F99-B595-60FD7EADA604.jpeg

...one can see the 2 hands on that watch (on a wrist) ... and then one should consider purchasing ...

KingCrouchy, DaveK and Alpha like this.
  3. Stripey Jul 17, 2020

The watch absent any Kray connection - yes. Not necessarily for that price.

The watch with an uplift in price because of the Kray connection - no.

4. Evitzee Jul 17, 2020

Channeling the defunct Romain Jerome theme......tacky at best. And way overpriced.

UK prison system must be very comfortable, allowing a murderer to wear a solid gold watch while incarcerated. The Blues Brothers (Jake and Elwood) should have been so lucky.

Farmer and queriver like this.
  5. TimeODanaos Jul 17, 2020

As a riposte on the aesthetics, this is worthy of that scholarship at All Souls.
    But on the OP's - I am assuming, here - implied other question, I speculate that hardly any non-Brit members will immediately have any name-recognition to guide them on this. I am very happy indeed about that, and I wish we could all join them. Sorry to sound such a prune (sic), but there are so many better uses for such a sum, watches or otherwise. Glad OP raised it: didn't realise quite how strongly I'd react! Let the tides of time close over the whole lot.

Alpha likes this.
  6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 17, 2020

Aaaah ... yes. That one was lost to the static of the residue of my retinas after seeing the watch. Now that I search ...

As to the price ... I will throw this one into the ring to 'neutralize' it ... (edit : I mean, at least a Brit can send that monstrosity to Simon Freese / ChrisN / Mitka etc. to make it function again ... not sure about the telephone ...)

Edited Jul 17, 2020
  7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 17, 2020

One of the few candidates that would look better after being over polished and turned into a bar of soap.

8. Stripey Jul 17, 2020

Broadmoor is a mental hospital. That may account for it. I hadn't noticed the reference to prison in the original advert.

9. KingCrouchy Jul 17, 2020

Personally no, I find the design tacky and dated. Furthermore I find the previous owner as being rather unimportant in the historic context, especially considering his impact on society.

10. Evitzee Jul 17, 2020

I assumed 'imprisoned' meant prison.

11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 18, 2020

High security mental hospital so a prison.

Personally for me the watch would be a no and with its' history a big NO

12. Stripey Jul 18, 2020

A perfectly natural assumption! It's a high security mental hospital, and people can be ordered to be detained there so they're not free to go. So certainly a prison in that sense, but not legally a prison. I assume that he was allowed to wear his own watch because it is a hospital and not a prison.

Whether he should have been in a hospital or a prison is quite another question ...

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 18, 2020

When I was in high school, I worked at a psychiatric hospital one summer on the housekeeping staff. This meant cleaning toilets, mopping floors, cleaning windows, polishing floors with a floor polisher (those things will take your leg off if you are not careful). It was a facility that opened in the 1940 era, and housed as many as 2400 patients. Massive facility on over 400 acres of land.

We had a medium security forensic ward. After taking the mandatory self-defense course, I was on my orientation day with my supervisor, who took me to that ward. Patients were allowed out in an enclosed yard for 1 hour per day to essentially walk in circles, and the rest of the time they were in their rooms. The people who had just been transferred from the maximum security facility were shackled - ankles together, hands together, and all tied to the waist. The cuffs were painted bright orange, and that denoted a very recent transfer.

There were all kinds of people there - one he pointed to had killed their spouse with an axe. This was medium security, but it was much like a prison. This was early 80's, so a while ago, and the facility is now closed. My shift was from 4 PM to 1 AM. Low risk patients were out and able to wander around until 8 PM. I recall being in a fairly remote area of the facility one night cleaning windows, and the screams of patients were pretty unsettling. It was an interesting summer job, to say the least.

Muddlerminnow and ZIELSZIEK like this.