Would love some information on my Omega Seamaster

Hi there, first time poster.

Small Back story

My grandfather had just passed away and while helping my grandmother go through his things, his old Omega watch that was lost for a very long time got uncovered. My grandmother was in shock but so happy at the same time. He means the absolute world to me & id love to wear his watch in his honor.

I was hoping some one could help me into the right direction.

The watch needs work like a new strap, new crown.

the mechanism is working which is fantastic from closer inspection the details i have are:

It is an Omega Seamaster 2849 1SC and the cal i saw on the mechanism was 503

It was purchased in the 50's

here are some images i took:1.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

Like 2
Hey and welcome to the forum. The model number is on the inside of the case back. The reference, or numbered code that it is referred to, is 2849. It is an Omega Seamaster from the around 1956 or so. To get an exact date of production we need the serial number of the watch. That is on the movement but in the picture you attached it is covered by the rotor (the thing that spins around and powers the watch.) The dial looks original. The crystal was replaced sometime in the past and its obviously missing the crown. With a service and new crystal it should look 100x better. The gold capping on the steel case has worn away in some spots. That is fixable as well but wont be cheap. There are a number of service options available especially if your willing to ship. Where are you located?

Like 1
Hello @tronB and welcome to the forum. My condolences on the passing of your grandfather. As mentioned above if you post your general location, we’ll be able to provide you with some watchmaker recommendations.

Like 1
Lovely heirloom.

It is in desperate need of service and repair. The rotor is badly rubbing on the case back and appears to have been for years.

Screen Shot 2024-06-14 at 8.19.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-06-14 at 8.19.15 AM.png

Like 3
Hey and welcome to the forum. The model number is on the inside of the case back. The reference, or numbered code that it is referred to, is 2849. It is an Omega Seamaster from the around 1956 or so. To get an exact date of production we need the serial number of the watch. That is on the movement but in the picture you attached it is covered by the rotor (the thing that spins around and powers the watch.) The dial looks original. The crystal was replaced sometime in the past and its obviously missing the crown. With a service and new crystal it should look 100x better. The gold capping on the steel case has worn away in some spots. That is fixable as well but wont be cheap. There are a number of service options available especially if your willing to ship. Where are you located?

Thank you :)

Wow thanks for that insight, i found the serial number it is in the 15 XXX XXX range im not sure if i am meant to post the exact serial number incase it's a unique number or can be duplicated (forgive me if i am wrong). This stuff has opened a whole new window of watch interest that is for sure.

Looking up that number, i learned the year is 1956.

I am Located in Australia

Hello @tronB and welcome to the forum. My condolences on the passing of your grandfather. As mentioned above if you post your general location, we’ll be able to provide you with some watchmaker recommendations.

Much appreciated my friend, it means alot. I am in Australia, Sydney to be precise

i also appreciate the response and help, i've always had interest in watches but this stuff has made me dive into a whole new world of watch interest which is awesome.

Like 1
Lovely heirloom.

It is in desperate need of service and repair. The rotor is badly rubbing on the case back and appears to have been for years.

Screen Shot 2024-06-14 at 8.19.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-06-14 at 8.19.15 AM.png

Thank you :) and thank you for your help with this!
wow i would not of noticed that, I don't think my grandfather would have either.

after a service does that prevent the rubbing? i am still learning about mechanisms

again thank you for the help

Like 2