Forums Latest Members

Would like some help authenticating / identifying grandfathers Seamaster.

1. Chun Jun 29, 2017

My grandfather, in his younger years, worked in a jewelry store and as a watch repairman out of his basement. At some point he decided to give this Seamaster to my mother and we found it while looking through all the watches she had. I'm brand new to the watch world but based on my "research" it looks like a seamaster from the 60s? The only thing that confuses me is the case-back. From all the pictures I saw online I did not see any that just had the word waterproof printed on it with no other marks so I'm thinking it might have been replaced at some point in the watches life. If anyone more knowledgeable than I can confirm my suspicion I would be very grateful (disregard the mis-match strap, its only temporary).
    DSCN0501.JPG DSCN0502.JPG

GregH and Giff2577 like this.
  2. chipsotoole Jun 29, 2017

What a pretty watch!! Lovely. Couldn't tell you anything about the case back, not my field..but I'd hazard a guess and say a 321 movement is driving it ..which makes it (and the superb condition of the dial) very collectable...

Chun likes this.
  3. Chun Jun 29, 2017

I'm hoping it's a 321 as well! I'd assume the only way to confirm this would be to open it up but I've got to say I'm not sure I trust myself to not damage it in the process.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 29, 2017

wow, looks like it was in a time capsule!

I suspect to really find out exactly what you have you need to get the caseback removed and take/ post pics of both the movement and the inner face of the caseback.

And make sure whoever opens it has the proper tools (and training) so they do not scratch up the back.

Chun likes this.
  5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 29, 2017

Looks like a DeVille case. You will need to open the case up to see the case reference number for further info.
    One of the pushers appears to be the wrong size.

Edited Jun 29, 2017
  6. Chun Jun 29, 2017

I was thinking about sending to my grandfather who would definitely be able to open it. However, I'm not sure he has a great amount of Omega knowledge, and, frankly, if he even owns a digital camera!

7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 29, 2017

8. Chun Jun 29, 2017

Hm, I did not notice either of those things. Would they indicate it may be some sort of Franken?

9. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 29, 2017

Possibly. The position of the Omega and Seamaster appear to me to be too low on the dial. But, don't take my word for it . I am no expert.

10. Chun Jun 29, 2017

I did some digging and found an old ebay listing of a watch that looks just like this that sold as a ref 145.018 and found this article http://www.finewatchco.com/OmegaOtherOM109.html . Even this is listed as a Deville, and a mix of dials with Deville and not appear when I google this reference number. Any idea what this means?

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 29, 2017

It means have someone remove the caseback, as that should give the info needed to determine what you have and how original it is. Short of that it will mainly be making educated guesses, but with less certainty then desired.

12. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 29, 2017

Sometimes the same case and dials can be named differently. You can find Seamasters and Geneves that are the same watch except for the names.

13. Chun Jun 29, 2017

Ok, I will try to get that done.