Forums Latest Members

Would Like More Info On My Late Father's Seamaster Watch

1. khoalety Feb 26, 2013

I sorted through my late father's belongings about 2 years ago. I found his Seamaster watch (just like the one in the picture below). I remember my mother bought it for him in early 70's in Saigon. I don't have it in my hand at the moment (I sent it to my mother to keep to remember my father by), but I remember it being big. If I have to guess, I'd say it is 45mm. My father used to have a tough time finding the wristband at the local places like K-mart or watch shops. I think it is 22mm. I wonder if someone in forum who is familiar with this watch and can tell my family about it like around what year it was made, its size or whatever else that would give something to talk about this watch to my son, sister and nephew if they ask. Thank you for your time.

My_FatherOmega1.jpg
  2. ulackfocus Feb 26, 2013

It's an early 70's model with a caliber 751 inside. Created in 1970 and can't be post-1973. I believe it is a 22 mm strap as the 40+ mm C-cases usually had that size lug width. It's model/reference number would be 168.0034.

Snagged that pic from f.q.watches on eBay, eh?

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2013

Hey, Frank will make you a heck of a deal on that watch.;)

4. hockey Feb 27, 2013

This watch actually has a pretty cool feature, which makes it robust and strong. The movement is located inside a ring that is suspended in the case by three rubber bumpers. The movement is thus isolated from the case and this design protects the movement from strong shocks, kind of like shock absorbers in your car. This watch was designed to withstand a lot of abuse by its heavy case and internal shock protection. A great "tool" watch as we WIS's would say. :)

Trev likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2013

Hey welcome to Omegaforums mate!

6. khoalety Feb 27, 2013

Thank you all for the information about the watch. My father hadn't used it for over 15 years while he was alive (because we bought him a Longines quartz) + almost 2 years since he passed away. But my mother said it is still working as the second hand moves when there is movement to the watch. My other question, do you think it is worth it to take it in for Omega to clean it up. I thought it would be nice to get a new wristband after the service, a self-winder and place the watch in it. Set it on the top of the dresser for my mother to enjoy.

7. ulackfocus Feb 27, 2013

Don't take it to Omega - it will cost a fortune and they replace parts without regard to originality and correctness, just using whatever fits. An independent is much more reasonable and will respect your wishes about keeping an heirloom intact.

8. khoalety Feb 27, 2013

I will ask around for a reputable watch person locally then. Over the years, I'm not sure who or what my father did for the service of his watch. I hope his watch repair person(s) did a good job of it. Thank you!

9. nsmike Feb 27, 2013

If you let us know were you live we might be able to recommend someone.

10. khoalety Feb 27, 2013

The Detroit suburb area!!! :cool:

11. nsmike Feb 27, 2013

12. khoalety Feb 28, 2013

13. khoalety Jul 7, 2013

I finally got the watch from my mom to take it in for service. It is smaller than I thought. :confused: It is more like 40mm or 41mm at most. Nevertheless it is a beautiful watch. :thumbsup: I placed my own picture of the watch instead of using the one I got from somewhere online. :whistling: From the http://www.awci.com/repair-directory/ link above I found 2 service places to choose from within my 50 mile radius. One says "Expert watch repair" and the other one says "Specializing in the sale, purchase and restoration of modern and vintage wrist and pocket watches. Modern and vintage watch repairs done on premises". I assume this is a good association to bring your vintage watch to? Anyway suggestion? Otherwise I will take to the closer distance of the two. Thank you!

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 7, 2013

If it's a date only model, it's a cal. 564. The 751 is day/date only. Not sure of the reference on this one.

gatorcpa

15. wwhntr Jul 7, 2013

The Seamaster you pictured is identical to one I bought just a few days ago at the NAWCC National convention in Dayton, OH. Mine has an original Omega steel 20mm bracelet. Same silver, crinkle finish dial, same markers/hands. Mine is a ref 168.035, cal 564 24 jewels adjusted 5 positions, with quickset date. The 25 mil. serial # on the mvt dates it to 1967. In my opinion, the chronometer grade Seamasters are somewhat uncommon. I see maybe 1 Seamaster Chronometer for every 50 Constellations. Same movement was used on Constellations from that period.

16. ulackfocus Jul 7, 2013

Doh! I did it again. :oops: Well, it is one digit off as noted below:

I get so wrapped up in searching the case shape I overlook the obvious. :rolleyes:

17. khoalety Jul 7, 2013

Sorry! My memory played tricks on me. I thought it has day/date but it has only day. :oops: wwhntr, I would love to see the original picture of the steel 20mm bracelet. Thank you for the information on this watch. Love it. ::rimshot:: Thank you everyone for helping me out. Once I get it back and it is running as new. I will post the latest picture with better camera. ::shy::

18. wwhntr Jul 7, 2013

Don't have pictures of my watch yet, but found this picture of an 1170 bracelet. (Note the case specific 604 end links for the nearly straight sided case.)

Omega bracelet.jpg

19. khoalety Jul 8, 2013

Thank you for the picture. Do you know what is the dial size? I assume it is 40mm? Am I close? You mentioned it uses 20mm bracelet, so the leather strap would be 20mm as well? What do you think the strap buckle would be 16mm or 18mm? I don't think I like the Hirsch strap buckle so I will order the Omega buckle. :cool:

20. wwhntr Jul 8, 2013

Dial is approx. 31mm, case excluding crown is approx. 39mm. Yes, it takes a 20mm strap/bracelet. Depending on strap, the buckle end will taper down 16 or 18mm.