Forums Latest Members

Would appreciate help on making a decision for 2 older watches to restore or not.

1. keesvc Mar 18, 2014

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hello to all,

I recently inherited 2 Omega watches and am trying to find out as much as possible about them. They belonged to my deceased parents and were purchased around 1967 at a jeweler in Las Palmas (Canary Islands) on the way back home from having worked/lived in Africa for several years. At the time having an Omega watch was somewhat of a status symbol with expats and knowing how hard my dad worked to save up for them, both watches have a lot of emotional value to me. Neither works, nor have they done so for quite some time, as I remember seeing them unused in my mom's jewelery case for the last 20 years.

I was only able to open the ladies watch and found the following information internally:
    The inside of the back cover is stamped F.C.4043. I tried looking this up on the Omega online database, but got no hits. It is also stamped with 18K and 0'750.
    The S/N on the actual timepiece is 25768994, which I understand means a 1967 build.
    Additionally it has a OMEGA symbol with the number 1 in it and 620 stamped below it, which I assume means caliber 620 (I know nothing about watches!)

The mens watch has the words AUTOMATIC CHRONOMETER OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED on the bezel and at the bottom, Constellation, with a single gold star below it.

I would appreciate any information, basically because I want to make an educated decision whether it is worthwhile to have them serviced for normal daily use, or just keep them in a drawer for sentimental reasons.

Thanks and regards
    Kees

2. davidswiss Mar 18, 2014

I'd spend money to save the constellation. The back will need to come off to confirm what it is, but from the look of the case and the year of purchase, 1967, I'd guess it's a calibre 561 or 564 which are both excellent movements. It is definitely worth saving and will give you years of good service and, I hope, good memories of your father.Take it to a good watchmaker to get it checked and serviced, don't wind it up until it's been serviced. Ask on here for someone local to you.

3. Dablitzer Mar 18, 2014

Hi Kees,

I am am sorry for you losses. I can understand the sentimentality of these watches and respect your desires to do something to get them back to how they were in all their former glory.

Personally speaking I would want to get the C shape constellation serviced, and cleaned. But not have it polished as it kills the collectibility. The crystal can be buffed or replaced depending on how you feel. The model you have is nice as it has a steel case with what looks like rose gold dial furniture, my personal favourite! There's been a bit of hype about these cases recently, and rightly so.

If you are interested in getting it serviced there are a number of guys who are very trusted on this forum, and will take care of your heirloom.

As for your ladies watch, I cannot comment since I know absolutely nothing about these.

Regards

Dab

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 18, 2014

Your watches have strong sentimental value to you that I am assuming outweighs the monetary value. IMO, if you don't intend on wearing - don't service and if you intend on wearing the watch - have it serviced, regardless of monetary value. My 2c

5. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 18, 2014

Comments have been made on the Constellation. I agree, get it serviced, it is a truly collectible even without your ties to it.

The ladies watch was one of Omegas finest at the time. Not many collect ladies watches (myself included) but it is a so called "Saphette" and was one of the first watches to have a sapphire "scratch resistant" glass. The name also comes from the faceted cut you can see on the outer rim of the glass.
    The case, and I do believe also the bracelet, is all in 18K gold. It will cost you in the area of GBP100-150 to have it serviced, so why not?
    Monetary value of the watch is closely related to the price of gold and the weight of your watch. It sure has good value!
    It seems to be some (moisture) damage to the dial. I am sure that you may find a good one since several (if not most) have been melted for their gold, and only the movement and dials remains. I have seen several for sale the last year or so.
    Good luck! :thumbsup:

6. Tritium Mar 18, 2014

Agree with everything said above, but my advice is to stay on this forum for few weeks and read as much you can, before you decide what to do. Don´t be hurry with such a heirloom. Once you restore a watch, there´s no turning back.

7. keesvc Mar 23, 2014

I received some data from Omega, however I am now more confused than before. According to Omega (based on the S/N I found on the ladies watch mechanism), the watch is Ref.: ME 511.0213, Caliber: 620, production year: 1968.

But when I enter this reference nr. in the online database, the following pops up:

[​IMG]
    Ladies' leather strap Reference MD 511.0213
    International collection 1967
    Case Gold-plated

The watch I have however (see earlier fotos and additional attached) does not have a leather strap, but what appears to be a gold bracelet fixed to the (gold) watch casing. So now I wonder is the actual clock mechanism of my watch from the model Omega mentions (Ref.: ME 511.0213) that was put into another gold casing, or is there some other explanation why they look different.

Regards
    Kees R0018035.JPG
    R0018033.JPG

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2014

I wouldn't spend any money on the ladies watch, just let it sit. The Constellation after servicing is perfect to wear though, and will serve you for the rest of your life if you take care of it.

9. woodwkr2 Mar 23, 2014

I'd definitely have the constellation serviced (and replace that crown with an original). Feel free to ask around here if you want some tips on what you want to ask for during the servicing. For example, most collectors would urge you not to have the case of the watch polished, but rather to leave it in original condition with its nice sharp lines, which can get worn down during a typical polishing.

Note too that you do not have to send these back to Omega--although you can, it's just expensive. Any qualified local watchmaker should be able to help you.

As to the women's watch, it is a standard manual wind, period Omega. It is not worth much other than its gold content. Judging by the looks of that caseback, it would likely look a whole lot better if you did nothing but put the bracelet and caseback in a cheapo ultrasonic cleaner with some Dawn dish detergent. (Don't put the movement or dial part in the water!!)

If you have a significant other who would wear and enjoy the woman's piece, it would likely be worth having serviced, for sentimental reasons if nothing else.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2014

From the pictures, it looks like the integrated case and band were locally made under license from Omega. This was very common, especially for ladies watches. Sometimes this was done to save money on customs, other times it was more for local tastes. My guess is that the case was made in Spain or Portugal.

Definitely get the Constellation serviced and running. The ladies watch unfortunately is worth only gold value. However, if you have a wife, daughter or sister, it would make a nice gift.

One never knows if these will be back in style someday.
    gatorcpa