Forums Latest Members

Worth restoring - yes or no ?

1. phil65 Dec 30, 2013

Got this beauty today, the dial, case and movement are in pretty good shape, sadly the balance wheel is loose, probably needs to be replaced or restored. The watch even works at a slight angle but soon as its completely horizontal it stops
    My question to you is it worth to put a extra investment or just sell the watch for parts, since im a noob in longines and particularly ladies watches.
    Thanks for your help !

2. phil65 Dec 30, 2013

Here are the picutures

IMG_6452.JPG IMG_6456.JPG
    Fritz likes this.
  3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 30, 2013

It all depends on how bad you want it, as the cost of a full overhaul will likely equal what it's worth in good shape. It is a pretty time piece, cal 10.68 from 1937 I think, if you have a pretty frau to loan it to or would wear it yourself, why not get the balance redone and save it?

Personally I'd fix it and wear it, its a nice piece. But then I drive a yellow Vespa.......

4. phil65 Dec 30, 2013

Yes I will defenetly fix it, since it reminds me of a longines pocket watch I had some time ago. In my opinion its realy beutyfull would ware it myself too if it was a bit bigger

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 30, 2013

Never mind the fashion for large watches.... that thing looks as big as my Omega bumper and I love wearing that watch. Wear it!

I've got my Grandad's Longines pocket watch. He bought it in Winnipeg in 1905, the year he landed in Canada....

Its in a simple nickel case and likely not worth much... but its a piece of family history! P1000456.JPG

6. CdnWatchDoc Jan 9, 2014

Hey Fritz, a watch with Canadian provenance! It appears that these watches were put together by Mr Porte in Winnipeg, so not Swiss made, but handmade nonetheless. Porte was a bit of a mover and shaker in early Winnipeg, about the time that it was a booming city on the Canadian prairies; it even rivaled Chicago in terms of growth for a few years prior to WWI .
    Here is a bit I pulled off the local historical society pages:

Memorable Manitobans: Thomas Jeffares Porte (1867-1934)

[​IMG]Jeweller.
    Born at Picton, Ontario on 7 August 1867, son of William James Porte and Sarah Hicks, he was educated at Picton Public School, and the Collegiate Institute. He started in the jewellery trade in his father’s store at fifteen years of age. He came to Winnipeg in 1897, being President of Porte & Markle Limited, which business was incorporated with Henry Birks & Sons in 1913. He served as Vice-President and Manager of the Winnipeg Tourist and Convention Bureau.
    On 1 June 1905, he married Ethel McEwen. They had two sons and one daughter. He served as President of the Winnipeg Rotary Club, and a Director of the Carleton Club. He was a member of the St. Charles Country Club, National Club of Canada, IOOF, AF & AM (Life Member Prince Rupert Lodge), YMCA, Winnipeg Board of Trade, and the Retail Merchants Association. His recreations included ornithology, golf, mechanics, and the study of English literature. He was considered an authority on precious stones. Methodist. In 1925, his residence was located at 60 Roslyn Road, Winnipeg.
    He died at Winnipeg on 2 September 1934.

DaveK likes this.