Forums Latest Members
  1. Jordan m Feb 7, 2020

I’ve spent more time on this forum than my wife would like. I thoroughly enjoy it and have had multiple people help me out with tons of info. I’m hoping someone could help me out on some info on the watch pictured. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jordan

E13332CF-54FC-499F-B1EC-E980B9E324E9.jpeg C2ABE4EB-76A9-4714-8674-DE24B6C09181.jpeg
  2. Dan S Feb 7, 2020

If you have been spending a lot time reading the forum, you will know that the movement caliber and reference number are inside. Easy peasy. If you need help, have a watchmaker open it up, take lots of photos and post them. Normally I would say that one should move the hands so they're not obscuring the logo and printing, but without a stem and crown, I understand that's difficult.

Ultimately only you can decide if it’s worth fixing, and that depends on a multitude of things you haven’t mentioned. What is the watch's history? Do you already own it? Or are you considering buying it? If so, for how much? What do you want to do with it? Sell it? Wear it? Is it an heirloom? What exactly is wrong with it that needs fixing? Does the auto-winding work? Does the watch tick and run? Totally dead? Etc.

Perhaps you can expand on the situation and provide some context about yourself and the watch as a bit of an introduction.

Edited Feb 7, 2020
  3. Canuck Feb 7, 2020

Speaking as someone who makes a living servicing the watches of others, (and my own), if it wasn’t for the sentiment people attach to watches (for whatever their reasons), I’d be out of business. The questions that need to be answered are, what parts are needed, are the parts available, can a repair be guaranteed, what will it cost? The repairman can’t say whether the cost of the repair will be worth it to the customer where sentiment has to be considered. I work on stuff all the time that I (as the repairer) consider to not be worth repair. If I can answer all the questions and quote a price, the customer tells ME whether it is worth it to him or her.

4. Jordan m Feb 7, 2020

It’s my buddies watch, I
    I tried to open the case back and it wouldn’t budge. I totally understand the sentimental factor on watches. To expand a little, this is a coworkers watch it was his grandfathers. I had a couple people identify my watch (pictured as my avatar) as a 14381 with 551 calibre movement. I was hoping someone would see this one and know exactly what it was so I could tell him what it is. I’ll give it another go tomorrow and try to get the case back opened. If I do I’ll definitely post pictures
    Thanks
    Jordan

Dan S likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 7, 2020

What are you using to try to remove the caseback?

6. timecube Feb 8, 2020

The watch in your avatar has a number of distinct features that make it somewhat easy to take a good guess as to its model and caliber. Your buddy's watch you've just now posted has fewer unique features, which makes identifying it more challenging (without a look inside).

7. Radiumpassion Feb 8, 2020

C24FC852-D859-41C4-9E52-AD6A0EA31444.jpeg

;)

8. Dan S Feb 8, 2020

Well, if it was his grandfather's, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's worth fixing, even just based on what we've already seen.
    Based on the basic style of dial and case, we know it's an attractive rotor automatic Omega in a nice stainless case, and that it looks to be in original condition with some honest wear and tear. Whatever the caliber or reference you find inside isn't going to change that basic equation. In fact, the watch's overall appeal to your colleague is far more relevant than the specific numbers inside, although those are of course of general interest to him.

wagudc and timecube like this.
  9. Dr.K Feb 8, 2020