Forums Latest Members
  1. Matt-C Dec 7, 2013

Or am I being too picky?

The bezel on my SMP 300 appears to have worked a little loose, it rotates fine and is still stiff and clicks correctly. But if you look at it edge on from the bottom (looking between the lugs) a small gap has appeared. If you tap around it from on top its solid and makes no sound from the '50' mark clockwise to the '20' mark, but from there back round it has a metal on metal tapping sound as it opens and closes the gap. If all that makes sense!

So am I looking too much for perfection or should I take it back or maybe they all do it in some form or another?

Thanks
    Matt

2. Superdoc Dec 7, 2013

Can't give you any technical input...but Personally, for me...there's never a question of being 'too picky'.... my obsessive compulsive traits have served me very well...and they are both a blessing and a curse...I would at least take it back to the dealer...if he says it can be corrected, then I would have it fixed...I strive for perfection, and any flaw, as infinitesimally small as it may be, would be the only thing I see from then on ... I've spend hundreds to replace bezels with nicks that most people couldn't see even when told where to look...

If you were less 'picky' about details, you'd probably not be in a position to buy a watches that cost more than my first car...

If he says this is just how it is....then I would at least be reassured that it is as good as it could be...the question then is if it is good enough for you ...

If not ... pony up a few more pesos, and jump up to Patek/ALS/VC/AP etc, knowing that if you can only accept the best, you would have to be willing to pay for it...

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 8, 2013

Can you post some photos? I can tell you if I think what you have is "normal" or not.

There is no such thing as perfection in a watch, in particular at this price point. Unless you have the money and contacts to get something made by Philippe Dufour or some other similar maker (not many at that level, and PP, ALS, VC, AP are sort of "minor leagues" compared to Mr. Dufour IMO), there will always be some sort of defect.

Omega has tolerances for most things, for example the vertical centering of the date in the window in the dial - it can be misaligned up to a certain point and still be "acceptable".

Cheers, Al

4. Matt-C Dec 8, 2013

Thanks for the replies guys

Al - I'll try and take a couple of pictures tomorrow. As you say in may be normal, I do use the bezel for timing quite frequently and this watch was purchased new so it may be just 'bedding' in as it were and now it's in permanent position. I know it didn't do it from new but nor does it feel like it might fall off at any point.
    Cheers
    Matt