Forums Latest Members
  1. Jhour Nov 6, 2023

I received this vintage watch from my father. Is this something worth restoring or just enjoying? It was worn by his dad and as you can tell he wore it everyday from the 50’s to the 70’s. The watch has a solid gold band that was sold in the 50’s because the gold links were too soft and kept breaking. The gold watch was gifted from the Saudi Royal. The watch is originally from the Middle East. I am looking to find a reputable place to open the watch for me and I haven’t yet.

IMG_0158.jpeg IMG_0161.jpeg IMG_0159.jpeg IMG_0162.jpeg IMG_0163.jpeg
    river9 likes this.
  2. sheepdoll Nov 6, 2023

Anything is worth restoring if it is cheap enough and cost is not an object.

It also helps if one is into self servicing. This precludes having access to the proper training, which may be difficult.

Restoring something to flip is probably a waste of time money and energy.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 6, 2023

Worth a service and a wear for sentimental value on its own.

Serviced and on a nice black or brown leather strap :thumbsup:

Nice crème brûlée dial ;)

Syrte, Dan S, Jhour and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dan S Nov 6, 2023

I wouldn't do anything other than service/repair the movement as needed.

Syrte, Jhour, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 6, 2023

The dial appeals to certain collectors so I’d not touch it. +1 on get it movement serviced and a crystal polish. Decent strap will make this really pop.

Jhour likes this.
  6. Jhour Nov 6, 2023

Thanks for the replies especially in regards to the dials. Surprisingly this thing runs and runs well. It has sat since 1971 and just moving it 20 feet carrying it, the seconds take off. It definitely would need a proper cleaning and relubrication.

now to find someone good enough in my area…

7. Jhour Nov 6, 2023

Thank you Standy!

8. wagudc Nov 6, 2023

It is worth getting serviced as others have said. If you want to replace the strap with something similar to what is already on it, search for a Perlon Strap made by the company Eulit. You can try their website, but they are sold by a number of online retailers.

https://www.eulit.com/en/

Jhour likes this.
  9. SOG53 Nov 6, 2023

Here’s a strap suggestion from Torre straps, it’s called “Irish Coffee”with great Colors brown and gold I have it on a King Seiko
    IMG_2466.jpeg IMG_2461.jpeg

Jhour likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 7, 2023

I'd steer away from Perlon one piece for this watch. A solid 18K caseback will be just as susceptible to wear as a stainless case. One can already see wear spots caused by stuff caught in the weave and abrading the surface.

My choice would be a lightly padded plain leather strap in a colour to complement the case and dial.

wagudc and STANDY like this.
  11. river9 Nov 7, 2023

Are those hands gold? To me the OP's dial is somewhat charming. On top of that is sentimental value. I would let it alone. Congrats on your inheritance.
    Mine is much more deteriorated (probably a black dial one heavily patinated!?)

IMG_20231107_141455.jpg

Jhour likes this.
  12. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Nov 7, 2023

Interesting translation ::facepalm1:::cool:

Schermafbeelding 2023-11-07 142921.jpg

13. wagudc Nov 7, 2023

Good point, when I wear my -69 Speedy on perlon I use one of those stickers to protect the engraving on the caseback.

Jhour likes this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 7, 2023

Using the search function here you can search for a good professional watchmaker in your area, alternatively you can post a new query if you specify what country/ area you are from.
    Also make sure no one tries to convince you to make it look “more pretty”. It is all original, with a perfectly untouched case, and the dial must be a warm shimmering color in the proper light.
    In particular make sure no one polishes the case.

Jhour likes this.
  15. Jhour Nov 7, 2023

I am not sure on the hands. I see deterioration on them but they could be. I have searched archives and forums and can’t find one that matches it. The watch hasn’t been altered except for the strap swap out. It looks like a seamaster from the 50’s but the hands and markers don’t.

16. Jhour Nov 7, 2023

That’s a great call on the strap. No idea why my grandpa switched to that one.