Forums Latest Members
  1. PanPiotr Mar 7, 2019

Hello,
    some time ago I bought vintage Omega bumper cal. 351 with honeycomb dial from 1951. I was at the beginning of collecting watches so it wasn't fully considered purchase. Generally I like this watch but I have some questions.
    As far as I know, hands, dial and case are original but I am not sure about the crown. At first sight it looks ok but looking closer you can actually see the space between it and the case and it is not signed.

Another thing is the damage on hinders(?). They are quite deep, even though, the strap holds firmly. Do you think it is possible to repair/fill? The first material I assume is stainless steel and the gold one?

Thanks,

IMG_3897.JPG IMG_3899.JPG IMG_3900.JPG IMG_3901.JPG IMG_3902.JPG IMG_3903.JPG IMG_3904.JPG IMG_3905.JPG IMG_3906.JPG
  2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 7, 2019

The crown is incorrect. The damage to the gold layer is deep. It would probably cost more to repair than the value of the watch.

hoipolloi and PanPiotr like this.
  3. Waltesefalcon Mar 7, 2019

That is a perfect example of why we shouldn't put one of those self adjusting bracelets on one of our watch.

PanPiotr and Hippocampus like this.
  4. Hippocampus Mar 7, 2019

+1 for the spring loaded endlinks on metal bracelets. They’re lazy mall jeweler crap in the first place and I’ve seen too many lugs with damage like this that’s caused exclusively by those. Never could figure out why horrible expanding bracelets were so ubiquitous on watches for so long, even the well made ones are basically wrist mounted epilators at best.

Honestly best thing for you to do is search out another example of this reference that has a poorly refinished dial (not a difficult thing to find unfortunately) but with a case in good condition and just swap your dial and movement out with that one. The guilloche dial in yours is nice and original. But besides the damage on the lugs, your case isn’t in the greatest condition otherwise anyway so that’d be solving a couple problems.

apsm100 and PanPiotr like this.