Forums Latest Members
  1. E N D Apr 11, 2021

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and the world of Omega timepieces - really new! Quite unexpectedly, my wife has uncovered her grandfather’s stopwatch from the FIFA World Cup Final of 1974.

I have a feeling it was only ever used once, then put back in its box for safekeeping - from what I can gather it simply faded from everyone’s memories amid all the other football memorabilia that he amassed!

I’ve found out its model reference is MG 6407. Does anyone know anything about them? Did all referees use them, once upon a time? Was it common practice for Omega to hand them out at major events?

Any information would be appreciated.

Edited Jun 5, 2021
  2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 11, 2021

Welcome to the forum. I can't answer your questions, but I will say that you have a great package of sporting history.
    Omega stopwatches are growing in collectability and yours, with the world cup connection, would be particularly collectable for the soccer enthusiast. Treat the box with care. It has much value and is an integral part of the set.

E N D likes this.
  3. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Apr 11, 2021

I can't give you much advice either but what a great heirloom. Remember watching Jack Taylor as a referee and being a Wolverhampton man he was a local celebrity for me.
    The world Cup final game itself was great too in my memory. Johan cruyff, Gerd Muller. 2 penalties awarded by Jack in first half. Classic

Museum piece in my humble opinion

BlueBoy, SpikiSpikester and E N D like this.
  4. Dan S Apr 11, 2021

Certainly a collectible piece and especially nice for the family.

E N D likes this.
  5. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 11, 2021

I'm not a stopwatch person at all, nor much of a football fan -- but I think that's a really cool watch, and more so because of its history.

Wow...I had almost forgotten about the Bundesrepublik...the DDR...Iron Curtain...

E N D likes this.
  6. E N D Apr 11, 2021

Thank you for your comments - it’s amazing what can turn up when you’re moving furniture!

To start with, we’re just pleased to see it works. Then again, I think this shows what little I know about these items!

BlueBoy and Jones in LA like this.
  7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 11, 2021

Welcome @E N D

what a great thing to have.

Whilst this is an Omega watch forum, your stopwatch has a value over and above watch or Omega related.

Football fans collect World Cup memorabilia.
    since this stopwatch belonged to Jack Taylor and it was given to him the year he refereed the World Cup final, there will be collectors of football memorabilia who would want it more than Omega collectors.

it’s value is anyone’s guess but unless you need the cash, it (and the referee’s strip if you still have it) really should be in a football museum.

8. ATWG Apr 11, 2021

Hi there - welcome to the forum, these are not super rare and were featured in the ‘69 olympics from what I recall. Here is a picture of mine.

F64452B2-8E7E-4AD2-A356-ED0BAF60C48D.jpeg
    AndreasSwiss and E N D like this.
  9. MRC Apr 11, 2021

Wonderful souvenir! I have read that Omega supplied chronographs (wrist stopwatches) to the referees for the 1970 Mexico finals, and there are certainly watches around with the FIFA logo -- but they may also have be "merchandising" too. It is quite possible they carried on the relationship with FIFA to 1974 and past too. In photos of Jack Taylor he seems to have something in his right hand that could be a stopwatch and a watch on his left wrist but I cannot see any pushers as found on a chronograph. With the jersey and some official looking paperwork (could we have a photo in focus?) you definitely have a desirable package for soccer fans if you want to sell.

bfcd6171cda866d3a85a3b8e79bec5b7.jpg

Not the WC final

jack-taylor-268030862.jpg

I would get in touch with the Omega Museum and why not try FIFA too, you never know they might have something.

Although I have little interest in soccer when I was studying at Wolverhampton Polytechnic the Molyneux ground was readily visible from one of the buildings and the name Jack Taylor rang a bell immediately.

AndreasSwiss, Foo2rama and E N D like this.
  10. TimeODanaos Apr 11, 2021

Wow. You're saying: 1) you are married to the granddaughter of Jack Taylor 2) he used the stopwatch in your picture in the 1974 "Total Football" final (how did they not win?? ::facepalm2::)
    And you're asking us about the watch? This is like Gene Cernan's family checking in to see what we know about Speedmasters. :eek:
    I'm sure you guys are on Preston's radar already, but you really should contact the national museum and get talking to each other about all your memorabilia!
    Welcome, and thanks for a really nice surprise - and a bittersweet memory. ;)

11. E N D Apr 11, 2021

First, thanks again for all the fantastic comments!

Apologies for the shoddy image from 1974 - it’s a photo of a photo. In addition to the fact that Katie rediscovered it in her Mom’s home, we have footage from the day that gives clear provenance.

Aside from the football aspect, I’m genuinely interested in the stopwatch itself - I’ve never seen a referee use anything other than a wristwatch.

Katie is, most definitely, Jack’s granddaughter.

From what I’ve seen of the Final, the Netherlands were in complete control for twenty minutes, but failed to capitalise on their possession. West Germany were the reigning European Champions and were denied a stonewall penalty in the second half and had a goal ruled out for offside...

I’m embarrassed to admit that I had to Google Gene Cernan, but I’ll now be able to tell friends about his time on the Moon!

Finally, our thoughts on memorabilia are, whilst it’s great to hold in our hands items from sporting history, they’re Jack’s achievements, not ours.

Items like this should be on display.

12. E N D May 27, 2021

Just a brief update…

On the basis that the family have so many items that remind them of Jack’s achievements, Katie’s Mother is selling the stopwatch at auction.

Details can be found at www.fellows.co.uk

13. TimeODanaos May 31, 2021

(FIFY)

Please do the nation a favour and alert Preston - I think the national football museum really should be at least in the bidding for something like this.

E N D likes this.
  14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 8, 2021

This popped up yesterday in my auction alerts.
    Clever timing since the Euros are about to commence soon.
    F6BC86B4-60C6-4C02-AB8B-E7331BB904DF.jpeg

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. TimeODanaos Jun 8, 2021

Perhaps Gary Lineker will save it for the nation?

16. AndreasSwiss Jun 6, 2022

Show you my Fifa Watches i Love it

7A45CADF-C1E7-4B91-8BC1-077F8E1D4E54.jpeg 7FC56CB3-A295-4B48-ABCE-50FDC82FA8E7.jpeg
    TimeODanaos likes this.
  17. ALEJANDRO BOVONE Jun 14, 2022

always liked the martellato paint on these. if dinged i guess it d be virtually impossible to repair.

18. dennyk23 Feb 2, 2023

i happen to encounter this stopwatch and bought it at a vintage store...
    Does anyone know why the yellow minute dial has a range of 35-45 minutes?
    i know for the 45 minutes it is one half of a soccer game, but does anyone know why the 35 minutes?

An extension time for a draw is 30 minutes...
    So why is the 35 minute mark significant?

Thanks in advance!
    ~D