Forums Latest Members

Working on a deal for a SpeedyMoon 3575.20, unknown service history

1. Unfamiliar_Moon Aug 19, 2019

Hello all,
    As the title says, after seeing a few seemingly great quality examples lately, I’ve decided on picking up a white gold bezel 3575.20 speedymoon.

I found a solid listing I think, but I have a couple hesitations I’m looking for guidance on:
    - No service history but the piece is “keeping great time” and prior owner “kept in his safe mostly”
    - The included warranty card is blank, not filled out, but looks to be period correct for some I’ve seen with this reference (white)
    - The red box is in a little rough shape, and the pusher tool is missing. Should this matter? I could get a replacement box for $100-150, yes? And I’m hoping an Ob could assist with providing a pusher tool.

The seller has agreed to take it to an OB or AD and have them remove the caseback to get a photo of the serial # on the movement, and also to just see if there’s anything obviously wrong. I’m not thrilled about a blank card, so I’m guessing this is the best way to address that? Should this have a large impact on price?

I’ve seen $750 for a service cost for this model, but how do most of you factor this into the cost of a piece you may be considering purchasing? Do you proactively do this on a 20-ish year old watch even if it is still “keeping good time.”

372B95EB-742C-487B-BEFC-9169496EE0F7.jpeg
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 19, 2019

With no service history you should assume it will need to be serviced.

I try to factor that in on the price, but it really depends on the popularity of a particular model.

You can also take the watch into an Omega Botique and they will test and inspect. They will let you know if a service is recommended.

I don't think there is much value in getting a new box. It's pretty common for those boxes to flake. I don't think many care, in fact it it may be odd to have a new box with that older watch.

3. Unfamiliar_Moon Aug 20, 2019

Great to know about the OB determining if service is recommended. I’ll ask that is determined when he stops in to have them take a photo of the movement. I’m assuming the “proof” to request in this case is a timegrapher report? I may ask to call the OB myself to verify their evaluation. Otherwise it’s seller’s word, and while I’d like to just trust it...

Taddyangle likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 20, 2019

If it hasn't been serviced in 20 years, it will need it even if it hasn't been worn, so count that cost into the purchase price.

tyrantlizardrex and Taddyangle like this.
  5. Unfamiliar_Moon Aug 24, 2019

After much digging I found the prior listing and previous owner, and contacted them regarding the piece.
    It was last serviced 10 years ago - based on everything I've read, it's due for a service now.

Etp095 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  6. Unfamiliar_Moon Aug 29, 2019

Doubt that anyone’s following this but the seller found a different buyer not put off by the servicing situation

So I guess I set my sights forward on finding another nice listing this time serviced and with Complete now with filled-out papers.

And pay more than I was going to here, for sure, but not with a near $1k service looming.

Etp095 likes this.