Forums Latest Members

Work Watches That Refuse To Die !

1. Calstock Sep 18, 2018

I bought this Citizen watch around 20 years ago and it was my daily wear for probably the first 7 years. It picked up a few minor scratches, I acquired a few more watches that I preferred aesthetically and I decided to wear the watch to work thereafter. The watch may not be to everyone's taste, but as a "work watch", it takes some beating. It's rated 10ATM, has a perpetual calendar, never needs a new battery, (or winding for that matter), keeps immaculate time and refuses to die ! It simply keeps going week after week, year after year, without even a minor intervention from the user.
    Citizen Watch 1.jpg
    My job is one of a landscaper / paving contractor and that means the watch is out in all weathers, continually covered in dust, dirt, bashed, and bumped, without the least protection from all that's thrown at it. If it gets too dirty, I simply wear it in the shower to clean it off a bit. Granted it's covered in scratches, (which affects the visibility far less than the photos might suggest), but otherwise it's bullet - proof.

Citizen Watch 2.jpg

The time is always spot on, the date will be correct for another 80 years, it has an alarm if needed and chronograph. This watch could literally be your desert island watch !

Citizen Watch 3.jpg

I'm absolutely sure the watch will outlast my working days.

What watch have you used and abused at work but still refuses to die and more than that, works pretty much as well as the day you bought it ?

Looking forward to seeing some classier watches than my old Citizen ! Ratty old watches that do the biz are equally what it's all about.

2. ext1 Sep 18, 2018

Wow, very nice seeing someone using a watch so faithfully like this!

For me that would be the assembled Seamaster SM300. My speedy had to visit the hospital and now it's performing its backup duties just like the day I bought it, and just as well. Dropped it once at NYC subway (horrible floor), a few scratches on bezel and case, but it didn't care. The rotor did end up coming loose but that was it.

3. alam Sep 18, 2018

working since 1987...and continues [accurately] ticking!

:)

A2E4C8D5-3F58-4CC1-AF37-1EB89BB9D2B4.jpeg
    Uniqez, CdnWatchDoc and ext1 like this.
  4. Lovewatches2 Sep 18, 2018

image.jpeg image.jpeg For me, it's got to be these two Swiss Army watches ( I call them the faithfuls). Got these two during the Marlboro promo days, I think way back in the 90's (not sure anymore, tad mem problem...comes with age).
    Anyways, goes like this, a smoker save the tiny label from out of the cig box and exchange them for whatever they have in their brochure ie tent, fishing pole, cards, flashlight ect, I chose the two mentioned above and never regret it, perfect choice!
    Back to watches, wear them alternately and even swim with it (black bezel) occasionally with no problem at all. Other one I wear to bed because of the indiglow feature, could check the time at night & see it clear. Since I got them I just replaced their batteries 3 times and both are keeping accurate time!
    Cheers

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 18, 2018

1977ish Seiko, my parents gave it to me when I was about 16 and it was my only watch until I got into vintage stuff 30 years later.
    its been pinned to the firewall of a 67 Mustang GT Fastback during a difficult engine pull (damn near broke my arm)
    Its been dropped into a 250 gal. tank of really dirty hydraulic fluid, it left a black oil mark on my arm each night for a year after that.
    its been through at least five motorcycle crashes and one really spectacular car wreck (an engine through the firewall quality crash)

last year it got sent in for yet another routine service... still keeps good time.

friggin indestructible!
    P1000972.JPG

Calstock, pascs and jB1128 like this.
  6. verithingeoff Sep 18, 2018

I'm a big Citizen fan[​IMG]
    When my son took up scuba diving in the early 90s I went along with him mainly to snorkel. I bought a Citizen divers watch at the time and it was my daily [only] watch for about 25 years. in 2017 it stopped so off it went to Citizen in Sydney and they said it's irreparable, parts no longer available. I tried a couple of independents and they all said the same thing. The watch was reluctantly chucked into the junk heap and another similar watch purchased. The latest one is my go to watch ahead of the Rolexes and Omegas. I know titanium gets a lot of bad press but I like not being aware of the weight of the watch...
    Couple of pics......
    IMG_2010_06_09_0757.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

Calstock and Lovewatches2 like this.