Forums Latest Members

Wittnauer super compressor - request for opinions please

1. littlesheep81 Jun 15, 2016

Hi fellow watch lovers

This came in the post today. Upon opening the package and inspecting the watch I was very happy to see dial, hands and lume intact and all original. One of the crowns has been replaced but I knew that from negotiating the deal.

The big surprise was that the case appears to have been refinished / chromed. The texture is more "plasticky" than stainless and the caseback "stainless steel" engraving appears filled in from the plating (hard to capture in photos).

So what was meant to be a great vintage diver is now a questionable purchase. I don't understand why people would plate and refinish if they can polish??

Would appreciate thoughts on whether you think a refinished case can be lived with. Or somehow remedied? I know this is highly personal... feel free to tell me I'm an idiot and of course should return and seek refund. ;)

I've contacted the seller. Waiting for their reply...

Thanks!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    stigmata likes this.
  2. cristos71 Jun 15, 2016

TBH it just looks polished to my eyes. How does the inside of the case back look?

3. littlesheep81 Jun 15, 2016

Thanks cristos71. It's so tightly shut, I haven't been able to get it open yet. Will take it to watchmaker to try and open.
    I haven't handled enough chromed vs freshly polished cases to know for sure... any pointers / tips on telling the difference would be greatly appreciated.

4. glownyc Jun 15, 2016

It also looks like the lume has been redone. Are the two crown different from each other?

5. cristos71 Jun 15, 2016

I would have thought that chrome plating was used exclusively on base metal cases, so if your case is vintage, steel and very shiny the chances are it has seen some polishing.

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 15, 2016

Send it on back if you can. Re-chroming of a chromed case is one thing, but this is just wanton abuse of stainless steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

littlesheep81 likes this.
  7. littlesheep81 Jun 15, 2016

Yes, one of the crowns was replaced. That was something I was aware of at time of purchase.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 15, 2016

I think it's had a brutal polishing job, probably by this guy.

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 6.26.07 PM.png

9. littlesheep81 Jun 15, 2016

Watchmaker confirms it is likely heavy polish and not rechrome.
    That I can live with... ...

Thanks all for the wisdom and thoughts, as always! Still have much to learn....

Edited Jun 15, 2016
  10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 18, 2016

It should be relatively easy to source a crown for this watch.

My best guess is that someone fugged up the caseback trying to remove with plyers or whatever these retards use to open (doesn't it seem like the morons who destroy case-backs all use the same wrong tools?).

You can reconstruct the crime most times - they start with flat plyers and eventually move onto needle nose and then Chanel Locks and grandpa's bench vise lol.

Anyway - I like this watch but of course it all depends what you paid for it. The dial and hands look great.

These super duper compressors are in demand right now and I see no signs of stopping.

The lugs look pretty freaking original (sharp), i bet if you're patient, a clean case-back will find its way to you and then you've a really /hot watch.

Edited Jun 18, 2016