With me since 1972 !

Posts
3
Likes
16
My passion for watches started in 1972 when I purchased my very first watch, a solid gold Omega BA 162010 in South Africa. At the time I paid the equivalent of $250 and a few years ago I had it restored by Omega for a multiple of the original purchase pride. She really looks fantastic and proudly resides on a winder, and I have the original invoice, paperwork and box. I have zero intention of selling this watch but I am curious about one thing:

I see from time to time 162010 come up for sale but they are always either stainless steel or gold plated. Are there so few of the solid gold variety around - I just would like to understand this a bit better.?!
 
Posts
3,596
Likes
7,812
We like pictures.
Winder generally not recommended for vintage.
Look forward to seeing your watch.
 
Posts
142
Likes
209
Sounds exquisite. Looking forward to photos as well! For my associates here - I’ve never used a watch winder and don’t plan to do so. Is the thought that the components wear much faster on a winder?
 
Posts
920
Likes
2,894
It's great to hear from people who love their watches. Many references were rarely made in solid gold. Any sort of tank style seems to mostly be in steel, the survivors I mean. Many solid gold watches have been melted down over the years.
 
Posts
3
Likes
16
It's great to hear from people who love their watches. Many references were rarely made in solid gold. Any sort of tank style seems to mostly be in steel, the survivors I mean. Many solid gold watches have been melted down over the years.
It's great to hear from people who love their watches. Many references were rarely made in solid gold. Any sort of tank style seems to mostly be in steel, the survivors I mean. Many solid gold watches have been melted down over the years.
We got married in 1971 and this watch has been with us on 4 continents and 17 moves, I have a very large collection of high end watches. This little Omega is worth the least, yet the most valuable to me.
 
Posts
19
Likes
23
Very nice watch and more important, the memories and value for you. Congratulations and enjoy it in good health!