Forums Latest Members

With increased local armed robberies, I’m no longer wearing Rolexes

1. Evose Sep 10, 2022

Awareness is key but sometimes can’t be helped. If 4 guys showed up at a traffic light with my wife in the car, I’d hand them my possessions. They’re just things, but this does alter what I choose to purchase. As much as I like Rolex, I’d rather fly under the radar and still enjoy what I’m wearing - the speedy never disappoints.

It’s sad things like this can dictate what we wear on our wrists and where we can travel safely.

Pun likes this.
  2. Evitzee Sep 10, 2022

In 1982 my wife and I made a stop in Copenhagen and we planned on going to Tivoli Gardens. We mentioned that to a saleswoman in a watch/jewelry store and she cautioned us on theft, she told my wife to turn her engagement ring 180 deg so the diamond was not visible. That was 40 years ago, street crime is nothing new.

George.A, Pun, Mark020 and 2 others like this.
  3. gbesq Sep 10, 2022

Perhaps the would be thieves prefer Daytonas when they steal chronographs. As a Speedmaster wearer, I'm happy to be a lesser target.

ArchAngel likes this.
  4. janice&fred Sep 10, 2022

What a coincidence as right now I'm in East Bumfuck with my Michael Kors! :thumbsup:

McKnife, timoss and ebrohman like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 10, 2022

There’s been a few of these in Melbourne too, I was super lucky when our house was burgled while we were asleep in 2020, I had both sets of keys to the 911, the house, my Apple AirPods and an LV wallet lined up next to the steel Daytona on a bench, they took everything including the AirPods but left the Rolex. Got the car back in pretty good shape and one set of keys but thankfully teenagers don’t know watches that well.

reb00ted, George.A, felsby and 2 others like this.
  6. bigtriangle68 Sep 10, 2022

Don't thieves look more for the cyclops, polished center links or glossy ceramic bezel when trying to steal a Rolex? I would imagine the OPs vintage steel Rolex watches with matte dial and no cyclops would fly under the radar for the most part. I'm not suggesting some thieves can spot vintage, but I would imagine most would not recognize them.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 10, 2022

I’ve made my position clear on this issue before. F..k the media and F..k Rolex and their artificial shortages.

McKnife, watchyouwant and sxl2004 like this.
  8. gbesq Sep 10, 2022

As usual, there will be some members who push back and say that Rolex has not created an artificial shortage of its products, but I am 100% in agreement with you.

9. Shabbaz Sep 11, 2022

True. But the targeted stealing of high-end watches is fairly new. It has become much more difficult for thieves to break into houses. Homes are much more secure than they used to be. Here in the Netherlands there is an enormous decrease in the number of burglaries. And corona has accelerated that process even more. Thieves have therefore started to look more at alternatives. And with the socials like instagram they have a pretty good view of where people are and what kind of watches they are wearing. This also explains why quite a few celebrities have recently become victims of brutal robberies. Although the chances are still relatively small that something will happen, I no longer wear rolex in the summer when I go out. Fortunately, I have plenty of alternatives.

10. ghce Sep 11, 2022

I have been wearing my Invicta a lot in public when I go to the lumber yard or garden centre, DIY places, thankfully no problems yet :whistling: but I do keep away from trailer parks just in case.

It's a sad fact of life that technology has led to this targeting, possibly from the comment about Instagram many people have brought the problem on themselves.

Edited Sep 11, 2022
    McKnife likes this.
  11. bigtriangle68 Sep 11, 2022

So are low key matte dial vintage stainless models without a cyclops being targeted? Or are the thieves instead going after modern blingy Rolex with polished center links, shiny ceramic bezels, precious metal models and loud Daytona chronos and GMT Master IIs with two-tone Batman / Pepsi bezels?

If I were to venture a guess, I would suspect the thieves are targeting the modern flashy Rolex stuff.

12. NGO1 Sep 11, 2022

I wear long sleeves. I can wear my grail to meeting clients in downtown Oakland, sitting outside Starbucks and hop around all day. I keep my blings to myself. I’m aware of my surrounding and keep my Lange underneath, private to me.

Wear your best watch, wear it everywhere, but be selective to when or where to whip it out. My Rolex and my Johnson shared the same rule. “Put it away, or you’ll lose it”. My wife is a brilliant woman.

D90F83F6-4816-4484-980A-DC4B4F52A56C.jpeg
    Edited Sep 11, 2022
    George.A, MtV, rbob99 and 10 others like this.
  13. Turpinr Sep 11, 2022

This would be my grail too.In my opinion Lange are at the top of game, I love them.
    The average would be Rolex thief probably aren't even aware of them.

Buster likes this.
  14. Evitzee Sep 11, 2022

It's not just a Rolex thing, any high end watch is a target; Royal Oaks, Nautilus', precious metal watches in general, they are all targets. There have been incidences of crooks coming into a restaurant and doing a mass stickup. Don't assume you are ok because you aren't wearing a shiny Rolex.

Mark020 and Larry S like this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 11, 2022

Also a pox on the people who use the term “ investment” in the same sentence as “watches”, create securities based on watches or in any way hype them as such.

Buster, McKnife, Cougar1968 and 8 others like this.
  16. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Sep 11, 2022

Hm,

I followed some of these Threads and discussions about that topic. I see the point, but I think it has nothing to do with what you really wear. Its more a general problem and is not direct relatet to the price of the things you wear. Its a thing of luck not beeing attacked or bad luck beeing selected by idiots. Iam sure they do not know if you wear a real expensive jewellery or only a watch that is worth 100$... So, I dont care 'most of the time' and hope that I have luck.

BR
    Hans

_20220911_172358.JPG _20220817_134338.JPG

Edited Sep 11, 2022
    Springsteenfan and Donko1100 like this.
  17. savka Sep 11, 2022

Anyone afraid to wear their Rolex or other nice watches are welcome to send them to me! I’ll pitch in for the shipping and will regularly post pics of the watches out and about for you to enjoy via a screen while you maintain your safety.

Pete2021, George.A, studeb and 8 others like this.
  18. JwRosenthal Sep 11, 2022

You are incredibly kind and selfless to risk life and limb to keep these watches out in the world.

kkt, George.A, felsby and 8 others like this.
  19. Fatcat Sep 11, 2022

Was in SFO last week , Moscone center and around i was wearing my speedmaster grail , some people pop up (nice watch yeahhhh), more people interested to discuss with no i suppose another idea in head , on the other side i visited the Omega OB to check and get a free coffee and the « expert » the sales guy was trying to convince me that any speedmaster never have day and date and i was wearing surely a Chinese fake :))))

Shinny robbed
    Classic no body care (not yet)

felsby likes this.
  20. JwRosenthal Sep 11, 2022

This is like when the neuvoRolexed guy at work tried to tell me by ‘78 OPD was a fake because it didn’t “sweep”.

Syzygy and felsby like this.