Forums Latest Members

Wishful Thinking - Watches that have unrealistic price expectations

1. JwRosenthal Jul 6, 2020

I see the connection- but to me it’s the same as the Waltham divers made BP...not that I wouldn’t mind having either the Benrus or the Waltham, but not at Heuer/BP prices

2. gretukasify Jul 8, 2020

PLEASEEE HELP this is fake or not? What is the price???

IMG_20200623_195325.jpg IMG_20200623_195309.jpg IMG_20200623_195156.jpg IMG_20200623_195141.jpg IMG_20200623_121700.jpg IMG_20200623_084150.jpg IMG_20200623_084144.jpg
  3. Baz9614 Jul 8, 2020

Someone scored a nice watch! :thumbsup:

4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 8, 2020

You’ll want to start your own thread in the vintage omega section :thumbsup:

Edit: it would be helpful to know what conclusions that you have come to as well

5. omegacollector Jul 8, 2020

As Omega has achieved an elite status in the watch community over the years, there are honestly many Omega watches that are beautiful and affordable, without diminishing the integrity of the Omega name and its rich history. With a little research, I have found many Omega timepieces that are impressively stunning and don’t break the bank either. Among their entire lineup, I have found that the Omega Speedmaster Professional “Moonwatch” is fairly priced and has an elegant appearance with a historic story behind it.

Many people are familiar with the Omega Speedmaster Professional, as it was the first watch worn on the surface of the Moon. That title is hard to beat, which is why the Speedmaster has become such as coveted item both at retail locations and among the various vintage and used Omega watches available on the secondary market. If you’re searching for a newer model that also honors the design of the original Omega Speedmaster that went to the Moon, the 311.30.42.30.01.005 is the perfect design for you. Above all, IT’S AFFORDABLE, many priced just under $5k.

As there are many watches in Omegas lineup that can be viewed as overpriced, there is a plethora of Omega design options that fit the bill for the perfect watch as well. It may take a little more searching but there are numerous resources online that have helped me find beautiful timepieces that are timeless and affordable. Here is a link to one site where you can learn more about affordable Omegas: The hunt never stops for the perfect watch, but I hope you find this resource as informative as I did. Good luck in your search everyone!

544ffe09227c0703c2e671f72e655a21.jpg
    Edited by a mod Jul 23, 2020
  6. rcs914 Jul 8, 2020

So I saw this on Reddit yesterday on /r/Watchexchange. Hanging around here for so long has ruined me ;-) At first glance I was like "Well that's nice" and the I looked closer - wait, is that signs of at least a partial redial? Those case facets aren't very sharp at all! Wait - why does it have lume on the dial, but onyx inlay hands, when there is no onyx on the dial?

What's more is that the guy is asking $1399 for this, and there are TONS of people talking about how it is the most beautiful watch they've ever seen. I don't know what the etiquette is in that sub for pointing out flaws, so I've kept my mouth shut. But to me the price seems ludicrous. In the seller's defense they do disclose that the dial appears to be repainted in spots and they aren't sure that the lume is original. But still.

C2576.jpg

7. JwRosenthal Jul 8, 2020

That’s a tough call as the seller is “partially” disclosing the truth, and the “we don’t know” is a convention way of deniability. I don’t belong to any other watch groups that this but if it is an open forum, I see no reason to why you couldn’t show other correct examples of the same reference to show exactly how it differs- to be of help in letting them know exactly what was and wasn’t redialed....since they aren’t sure.

DaveK likes this.
  8. TDBK Jul 8, 2020

If you want to wade in, you could consider raising concerns as questions rather than as statements, such as "Wow, this looks great, but I don't know that I've ever seen an Omega with onyx-inlaid hands but with lume on the dial, aren't they usually consistent?"

However, another perspective might be that correctness is a collector concern, and there's no need to raise collector objections to an audience who are looking at it as an aesthetic object. Reddit's watch groups are great, but they don't tend to pivot around the same correctness / collector concerns that many people here care deeply about. If the seller is already signaling that this isn't a collector-quality watch with their statements about the dial and the lume, further objections may not be really constructive.

rcs914 and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Jul 8, 2020

This is actually an excellent point- we as collector do care, many people don’t- it’s pretty to them. The seller has been- well-vague, which is not deception. If a seller were outright deceptive then I would agree with being a “Good Samaritan” and trying to keep the uneducated from buying based on false claims. But it’s not our jobs to police the watch world and unsolicited advise is rarely welcome....and that my unsolicited advise.

rcs914, sonicosa and TDBK like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Jul 19, 2020

Oh boy- a $350 watch...but he claimed it was purchased at Hondinkee so it’s totally worth $1.45k :rolleyes:
    D564F80B-BED1-4160-A074-18552949A03C.png

11. rcs914 Jul 19, 2020

When was the last time you saw a Seawolf go for $350 though? I haven't in ages - not saying I haven't missed it but $600 seems to be the floor these days. Still not$1450. Hell the 1st Gen one I've posted before that may be the nicest in existence has it garnered an offer of $1600.

12. JwRosenthal Jul 19, 2020

Got mine last year with the same bracelet for that amount from a fellow member, in better shape than that dark mossy POS (although it did need a service and a clean-up). Still, wouldn’t pay $200 for that thing with those lume plots (that dial is not attractive in any way IMO so has no value to me).
    The bracelet however is worth $250 so put them together and there’s your $600+
    Your MkI is a rarity, can’t judge that against anything else- it’s in its own stable.

13. rcs914 Jul 20, 2020

Today we have another laughably unrealistic example, for a $6471.99 starting bid (not BIN):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-SpeedmasterProfessMoonwatch-Custom-18kWhiteFace-Owner-Boxes-WSOCard-Used/124259326149Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

s-l1600.jpg

Accompanied by this piece of delightful prose:

"I'm selling a piece of history that is only increasing in value as the years pass! Bought and now being sold in the USA( not Japan) so no import, luxery taxes, or having to hadle and pay for shipping, which they charge for all. I'm paying for insured shipping, eBay and PayPal fees, so discount that from this price. Also, I can have all Original packaging, and Omega authenticity card from when i purchased this timepiece to show it's genuine!

This is a discontinued watch that are just really hard to find and that we like to call 'rare birds'. This Omega Speedmaster was launched in 2000 and discontinued in 2005 (the first update, or 2nd edition after NASA cantracted Omega to produce the Original or 1st edition for all of the Astronauts that went to the Moon for the First Time! This watch is becoming harder and harder to find a legitimate one that is in the US and not a fake/ or knockoff! I had almost sold this watch last month, but my watchmaker said "you know what you own, so do Not sell it for a number that you will regret it in 10 years because the Original 1st production for the Mission to the Moon are selling from 50k to Millions of US Dollars depending on if it went to the Moon mission or not.
    So, this time my price is firm and remember, i have to cover all fee, insured Shipping, losing a piece of history, and my emotional attachment!

This is a custom orderd watch and extremely hard to find a Genuine one with proper documentation, and all Original packaging and everything it came with after being custom orderd in 2003 in Omega's dealers handbook in LittmanJewlers. It was them handcrafted for me in Switzerland( that took 3 months to get delivered from the date i ordered out of the Jewelers Omega handbook in 2003. This was not on display in the store, i selected it from Omega's handbook. Since we all know how iconic is the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional —after being part of all six lunar missions—, we'll go straight to what makes this watch so special. What sets this particular watch apart from your run-of-the-mill speedys, is its Aventurine dial and moon phase aperture.
    "The First and Only Watch Worn on the Moon"
    This watch is Rare, Discontinued,100% REAL And AUTHENTIC
    Used Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonphase Broad Arrow Moon Watch, 18k white Gold besel and half of case. White Dial Face with 12 Blue Sapphire Gems on All of the Hour Markers, not painted like in some similars, or knockoffs. The glass is a Sapphire Crystal that is scrach resistant and definitely has no scratches on it.
    Functions: Chronograph, Date, Timer, Sun to Moon Phase Dial at Top, and a helium release valve so Astronauts could use tje watch in Space on the Moon!

Chronograph

Complicated watch with a function for measuring short time periods in addition to its function for permanently displaying hours, minutes and seconds.

Moonphase

A function which tracks the phases of the moon. One lunar cycle is 29 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 2.8 seconds and includes four phases: new moon, first quarter, full moon, last quarter.

Small seconds

A hand on a sub-dial which tracks seconds typically it completes a full rotation in one minute.

Tachymeter

A tachymeter is an instrument for measuring speed. It is a chronograph with a graduated dial on which speed can be read off in kilometres per hour based on 1000 metres distance.

Accessories( that came with the watch when i bought as a special order from Omega's dealer catalogue, and provide proof of authenticity, and each of these are just as rare as the watch! Also, the watch was special orderd from Omega's Catalogue from an associate who worked for Littman Jewlers (Omega's WarrantyCard says Associate Broker in name spot on card):
    1.Original Omega Operating Manual Book (Red Book), 2.Original White Omega Stamped Outer box,
    3.Original Red Leather Watch Case (w/Omega Emblem Etched in Metal on Top of Case) w/ some wear,
    4.Omega International Warranty Card (shows watch serial # and watch #) Model 3575.20
    This is a 100% Authentic Watch w/ Serial Numbers manufactured by Omega with a Omega International Warranty Card (shows watch serial # and watch #).
    First Watch Worn to the Moon (it has a helium release valve to tell time in Space)
    The watch has an18k White Gold Bezel with Solid 18k White Gold Crown and One 18k Solid Pusher, White Face with REAL Blue Sapphire gems on the hour markers, a Stanless Steel Band, and "NASA Qualified for all Space Missions" is embedded in stainless steel on the back of the watch!
    One of the clicker knobs below the crown came loose, condensation got in, and now the dirt has dusted the white face of the watch after it dried out. The watchmaker at the jewelry store I worked at, said he could open, clean, and polish the white face and sapphires back to like new shine, oil the mechanism and relplace the gaskets. Or a "Service" that has to be done every 4 to 6 years to maintain a Fine Swiss Timepiece. I would never have anyone besides Omega to open the watch for authenticity purposes or take a return because then there is a chance of someone sending a fake one back! Watch is sold as is and just needs some TLC from a watchmaker or horologist!
    You get Free Insured Overnight Shipping!
    Plus, i have to pay fees to eBay and PayPal to sell under their platform. Please serious inquiries and questions only! Thanks!"

::facepalm1::

loniscup and DaveK like this.
  14. Rodentman Jul 20, 2020

This is why I won't buy a watch on ebay unless I KNOW the seller, which is not likely. Frankly I prefer the AD. The end.

15. JwRosenthal Jul 20, 2020

Yeah, he’s been trying for a while. This is a prime example of unrealistic seller

16. rcs914 Jul 20, 2020

I should message him and state that I'm interested, but only if he sends it to Omega first for a quote for repairs :D

JwRosenthal likes this.
  17. JwRosenthal Jul 20, 2020

Because ONLY Omega should open that watch as any mere mortal may sully such a beauty.

18. ClawHammer Jul 21, 2020

For such a rare piece you’d have thought they’d take better care of it.

At least I now know what a helium escape valve is for... “so Astronauts could use tjewatch in Space on the Moon!“

19. JwRosenthal Jul 21, 2020

Oops, forgot the decimal.

449E85FF-FFF7-418C-B814-F314FA2C0619.png

DaveK likes this.
  20. JwRosenthal Jul 21, 2020

Thank goodness he saw the error and corrected it :rolleyes:

EF9DC38E-7C65-4DE8-8546-3C17D6D24F37.png