Forums Latest Members
  1. Mozziebite Aug 28, 2017

I've noticed this term being bandied about a lot on this forum and others, and a quick Google told me that it stands for Watch Idiot Savant. I did laugh. :) But I'm not quite clear on the definition - does it basically just mean like a watch nerd? A bit like the Big Bang crew with their comic books? Is it derogatory in any way, or a catch-all term of endearment for peeps who are just overly interested in watches? Just wondering... :D

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 28, 2017

Nerd?! How dare you! I'm a geek!

3. Mozziebite Aug 28, 2017

My apologies... :D

4. Mozziebite Aug 28, 2017

So are you a WIS? :)

5. karalhoin Aug 28, 2017

Well, according to the dictionary...

idiot savant
    plural
    idiots savants
    play \ˈē-ˌdyō-sä-ˈväⁿ(z)\ or \ˈē-ˌdyō-sä-ˈväⁿ(z)\
    1. 1 : savant
    2. 2 : a person who is highly knowledgeable about one subject but knows little about anything else
    Knowing "little about anything else" is the key point here. :D

6. Jking something intelligent and witty... Aug 28, 2017

Lol...it's more of self-effacing term used amoung watch geeks. Tongue in check and meant in humor. You know your a WIS when you are a member on multiple watch forums, have enough watches that you routinely have an afternoon change out, have tools to change your own straps and/or size bracelets, subscribe to watch magazines and participate in a million page thread numerous times about when a certain watch will be delivered (;))...if any of those describe you then you are likely a WIS. :D

Larry S, Bushido, av8ffej and 2 others like this.