Forums Latest Members

Windows 10 / Microsoft OS - discuss

1. Omegafanman Apr 25, 2021

I think relevant for the forum as we all use the Interweb to use it.....

I have a several (Older) PC and laptops - Windows 10 seems to be slowly killing all of their performance. My wife is on Apple and that keeps ticking along (We both feel Apple is a bit of a monopoly … but the kit works).
    I have grown up with Microsoft but it is 2021 and the fight to keep it working how I want seems to be getting harder...why?

When you find yourself having to google ...Top4 Ways to Fix Taskbar Turned White Issue in Windows 10

….and there are answers clearly that is a 'thing' which does happen - is Windows 10 stable?

I notice my PC performance will go down - even when it has just been off for a week. Maybe I need to stop the updates....

Anyone else having issues - Maybe it is just me.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2021

Trev and I have Windows 10 but are mainly on mac, the new M1 macs are an absolute beast performance wise for most people and cost very little, I’ve got a base model Mac Mini I use for general purpose browsing and for the kids to play games on and it uses almost no power and never gets warm let alone spin up its fan, the new MacBook Air M1s don’t even come with a fan and have a 20 hour battery life, so if you want to make the switch these are a great and very cost effective way of making that change at a time when Apple really has made a quantum leap for the first time in decades. Seriously any base model M1 will be a big upgrade over your wife’s Mac.

mydeafcat and Omegafanman like this.
  3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 25, 2021

Using 32 Giga RAM... no problem :D

4. Omegafanman Apr 25, 2021

I have seen the same issue on numerous devices (from 4 - 32 gig). I did put more in my main PC and it has not helped. I wonder if some diagnostic software (like Norton) cause the issues they help fix...

PC - Copy.jpg
  5. glownyc Apr 25, 2021

Depending on what your doing you really shouldn't be having issues with those specs. I've seen Windows 10 run smooth on old i3 processors with 4GB of ram that originally came with Windows XP once a SSD drive was put in. Obviously it's not going to handle anything intensive like photo editing or video encoding but no issues with web browsing and Netflix streaming. A SSD drive upgrade can make a big difference if the machines have spinning drives in them.
    You can try some of these tools to see if you can gain any info. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/13-windows-diagnostics-tools-check-pcs-health/
    I would do a clean Windows install on one of the machines. Then make sure all Windows updates were installed, check the manufactures site for driver updates. Not adding any files or programs for a few days to see how it runs.

Omegafanman likes this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 25, 2021

+1 for the SSD option. Done it for my 9 year old desktop and cheapo laptop. I'm no hardcore techie, but the increase in speed is palpable :)

Omegafanman likes this.
  7. Omegafanman Apr 25, 2021

Thanks - I will give them a go :0)

Edited Apr 25, 2021
  8. Braindrain Apr 25, 2021

Geezus, I'm running Windows 10 with an old PC thay has an Athlon X4 processor, 8GB RAM, and SSD main drive.

Runs fine, even when I throw photo and video editing at it. Could it encode video faster? Yes, but I encode family video so it's not a deal breaker.

If it slows down, maybe it's the program? I notice a certain program, if used under load, seems to slow down the PC.

And Chrome. It hates Chrome.

Omegafanman likes this.
  9. Observer I know nothing! Apr 25, 2021

Windows is enough of a security risk with updates installed. Running without updates is asking for trouble. Leave them enabled.

Omegafanman likes this.
  10. vitriol Apr 25, 2021

Yours battlestation looks fine, looks strong enought for Win10.

If you don't have SSD as your system disc - you shoud, HDD's are great (budget) option for storing high volumes of files, but each and every OS will work faster on the SSD system disc.

There may be many sources why your PC performance went down; Windows registry orphan entry (invalid entries), high volume of temp files, even the volume of your local cookies and dupicated files can surprise you..
    Those all are your local issues, stopping the OS updates won't change anything but as you said there are diagnostic "tools" to address those issues.
    I like to use this - https://www.ccleaner.com/ - perhaps give it a try, run the analysis and fixing of Win registry, clear temps and your dupicated files and check do you see any significant difference.

I do not think that stopping OS updates is a wise idea, but I agree that Microsoft updates can be hit or miss.
    They probaby know it too and have decided to introduce KIR (Known Issue Rollback)
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...u-keep-windows-devices-protected/ba-p/2176831
    TLDR - KIR is one of the latest developments for Win. In short, it is kind of the telemetry - Microsoft takes feedback from users about which of Win updates are buggy, are the biggest pain let's say. Based on this feedback Microsoft rolls-back the said problematic updates and recalls them from your battlestation.

Edited Apr 25, 2021
    Omegafanman likes this.
  11. SkunkPrince Apr 25, 2021

Not sure how "monopoly" applies. I know that they "own" their OS (actually a lot of it is open source), but they make their own hardware and fine-tune the OS to run on it but they have only about 10% of the PC market. They do seem to be coming more into business as people are using more OS-agnostic web services.

I used to have Windows 10 on my Mac with Boot Camp but I deleted that partition because of how outrageously slow it was... and this was with Apple-written device drivers!

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 25, 2021

No Win10 issues here. My desktop is ~2-1/2 years old and running an 8th or 9th generation i7 processor, 16Gb of RAM, 256 Gb SSD for the OS and a 1 Tb WD Black for data storage.

Omegafanman likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2021

Its also worth noting the first generation of SSDs and all SATA SSDs for that matter are very slow compared to modern ones, there’s about a 7X speed difference between an M.2 SSD or a Mac with a built in NVMe SSD and a SATA cable SSD and its very noticeable these days.

Omegafanman likes this.
  14. abgul Apr 25, 2021

Move to the dark side and get a Mac. The end.

Omegafanman likes this.
  15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 25, 2021

My businesses run on Microsoft because legacy programs need the integration.

My personal and office has been on Mac for 20 years.

it’s not perfect , but it is far superior.

the M1 is a game changer. If Mac has lagged the last couple of years they sure came back swinging.

Edited Apr 26, 2021
    Omegafanman and dsio like this.