Forums Latest Members

Winding Variances With my New Speedy?

1. RPC Feb 13, 2021

I wind my new watch (1863 Speedmaster) at about the same time daily- somewhere between 6 and 7 AM- but have noticed that some days it takes 12-14 winds before full and some days it takes 18 or 20.

When I started noticing this I paid close attention to the motion of my winding so I know it isn’t different degrees of rotation.

I also haven’t been using the chronograph feature so that isn’t a factor.

*I don’t have reason to think this is a problem, it’s just curious

Vittokraus and Borosilikat like this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2021

The length of the spring if fixed, and the amount that it unwinds in a given time is pretty well fixed. So that leaves only 2 possibilities - there's a variance in how much you are actually turning with your "winds", or you are not winding it at the same time of day each day.

SSGMT and Foo2rama like this.
  3. scubafan Feb 13, 2021

Or the third possibility is that you're not counting the crown turns well

RPC and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2021

Well, I assumed the OP could count...

Edited Feb 13, 2021
  5. Dan S Feb 13, 2021

I don't see how this is possible unless there is something wrong with the mainspring/barrel. Have you checked the power reserve?

6. Evitzee Feb 13, 2021

Another factor is when do you feel the winding is 'full'? Too many people relatively new to manual wind watches don't wind them to the point where the crown won't turn anymore (fully wound mainspring), instead they feel resistance and stop for fear of breaking something. Just wind it until the crown won't turn anymore, you'll know when you get to that point.

SlayedDreamer, david5807 and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Borosilikat Feb 13, 2021

I wouldn't worry about it so much, get it looked at by Omega if it's still under warranty if it really bothers you, but as long as timekeeping is good there can't be anything wrong

8. RPC Feb 13, 2021

I appreciate the insights.

I haven’t checked the power reserve but will. Been winding it daily since I bought it. I also stop winding when the crown stops allowing me to spin it.

Timing is +9 sec/day according to the WatchTracker app.

Last, I can count. At least I’m pretty sure I can...

Thanks again guys.

9. Vittokraus Feb 15, 2021

I`m a newbie in manual winding watches, and I bought my first Moon 1863, like you. In the beginning, I had doubts about how many times I need turn the crown to go fully loaded.
    I`m learning every day.
    Some people tell me "wind until stops", but, for me, this is abiguous k. Other people tell me wind like 40 ou 60.
    BR

Edited by a mod Jul 11, 2021
  10. gnuyork Feb 15, 2021

Ambiguous? Interesting how that's ambiguous. You wind until you can't wind any further, as in the crown won't turn any more.

Fish70, Dan S and Foo2rama like this.
  11. Dan S Feb 15, 2021

I don't see how anything could be LESS ambiguous. :confused:

Fish70 likes this.
  12. Bp1000 Feb 15, 2021

Its likely partial turns.

I know what you are saying, this is really very common if you count. Speedmasters with crown guards and grip on the crown is a thing, at least for me.

There is nothing wrong with your movement, all is good. Just wind it up until you can't.

RPC likes this.
  13. Duckie Feb 15, 2021

Welcome to the thoroughly enjoyable world of manual wind watches:thumbsup:

There's no need to be too concerned about the mechanics of it.
    Forget about how many turns are required as there's too many variables from an operators perspective.
    Simply wind it until you can't wind it any further but don't force it. There's no need to force anything so you can't go wrong.
    It's best to wind it at around the same time every day for striking the balance between optimal accuracy and convenience.
    Enjoy:)