Forums Latest Members
  1. doralamer Aug 23, 2015

Dear all,

Received my polerouter super cal 1-69. Anyone has any directions as to how to manually wind the watch, although it is an automatic? It has a screw in crown...

2. emilio Aug 23, 2015

Just unscrew it and wind it. Don't know the cal of this ug but not all automatic watches can be hand wounded..

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 23, 2015

What you do is turn the crown in the opposite direction as you would normally turn it until you feel a certain slacking of resistance and you see the crown let up. That signals that the crown has unscrewed. You can then wind the watch. After you have finished, push the crown down and continue turning it in that direction, as you would a baby-proof pill bottle, and it will screw back in.

4. doralamer Aug 24, 2015

So let me just try to get it in point form.

(1) I unscrew it by turning anti-clockwise.
    (2) If i pull it out a notch and turn it clockwise, i adjust the time.
    (3) I put push it in an turn clockwise, it screws.
    (4) I unscrew it by turning anti-clockwise and i tried a couple of turns further anti-clockwise, there are some clicks that I don't suppose are very healthy for a vintage watch.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Universal_69_0

This thing says, detached manual wind. So what am i looking at now?

Watch runs fine though.

D:

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 24, 2015

Have you owned a mechanical watch before? Does it sound like the clutch clicking? That would be totally normal. Just a few turns should unscrew it from the laced notch.

You can find images online of screw-down crowns to get a better visual of what's happening. Many submariners also have screwdown crowns, so you can just watch tutorials on those, if you have further questions.

,David

6. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Aug 24, 2015

I PM'd doralamer because the same thing is actually happening with my Polerouter Sub that I just purchased. It's not a matter of not knowing how to work a screw-down crown. It's that you unscrew it counter-clockwise, it pops out, you set the date/time like normal, and then instead of pushing it back one click and winding, if you turn it clockwise it just screws back down into the case. It's like there isn't a notch for winding.

If anyone owns a Polerouter and hasn't experienced this, would appreciate the input. I've just been shaking mine like a Seiko if it winds down to get it going again (which it does), but I have to think there's a way to wind it.

7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 24, 2015

Ooooh. So so if I remember correctly from when I owned a Polerouter with screw-down crown - yes - what you do is push the crown in gently after it been unlatched and it will wind when you turn it clockwise. You have to apply pressure as you turn it.

,David

8. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Aug 24, 2015

Hm, alright. Today is one of the first days I haven't worn it since purchasing last week, but I'll give it a go when I'm home. Need to run by the watchmaker this week for something else anyways, so I was going to have him take a look at it as well.

9. doralamer Aug 25, 2015

Thanks guys. And yes David I do have quite a few mechanical watches and an amateur collector, but like what chicagofrog mentioned, this situation is slightly different. And no, the clicks do not sound quite normal though, and hence my questions:)

Thanks for replying though. I need a step by step guide :D

Modest_Proposal likes this.