Forums Latest Members

William Shatner on the angst of loneliness

1. Omegafanman May 17, 2019

There have been some important threads and mental health and thankfully there is much more positive awareness about those issues in recent years. Loneliness / feelings of isolation are not mental health issues as such but they are very strongly linked and they are very prevalent, but despite that few people open up about being Lonely or don’t always spot it when others are suffering.

I am sure he has a book to sell etc but I still found this a fascinating and I think genuine interview with Captain James T Kirk, a person who I normally think of boldly going etc. Nice to see a star ship Captain / Police Sergeant opening up about his issues and hear 87-years-old William Shatner’s advice for combatting loneliness. I am not sure going to the pub is usually recommended by health professionals but it gets my vote :0)

I was also struck by some of his quotes – one from this short interview and one from a previous one. ‘’There is no permanence / change is the nature of the Universe. We are born alone and we die alone and dying alone becomes a subject of thought as you get older…I've been in that angst of loneliness, where you're really alone in the universe, except for the dog. The thing you have to remember is that life is for the living. You only have this minute, this little particle that goes kachung! – and then is gone’’.

Maybe that is another reason a lot of us love our wrist watches – one bit of personal permanence in this changing world… yet it is still measuring our time ticking by.

…..And of course, a quick wrist watch check (see photo) for good old Captain Kirk. Despite the serious nature of this interview it looks like he might be having a Ball?….

01 - Copy.jpg
    PhotonX, Dogmann and Wetworks like this.